What factors to consider in choosing a school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getintodentalschool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dec 1st is almost here and I'm sure many of us will have multiple offers from various institutions. Here are some of the factors I will be considering, feel free to add.
- Quality of education
- Class size
- Tuition
- Environment around school
- Weather (don't want 8 feet of snow in 2 days and die from a heart attack)
- Maturity of class
- Specialty programs
- Relative hotness of girls (or guys if your a girl)

If you can think of anything else post it up!

Members don't see this ad.

Dec 1st is almost here and I'm sure many of us will have multiple offers from various institutions. Here are some of the factors I will be considering, feel free to add.
- Quality of education
- Class size
- Tuition
- Maturity of class
- Specialty programs

Last reason... Really? I hope my classmates will be more mature than that.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm beginning to believe that I will just attend whatever acceptance I get first. btw you forgot tuition cost.
Last reason... Really? I hope my classmates will be more mature than that.
Lol I think he's trying to ease the nerves.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is like your first somewhat legit post

Reactions: 1 users
My list is ordered with
1) tuition - whichever school gives the better deal
2) cost of living - if grocery costs $100 every week then I might just be eating grass and drinking tap water (moo...)
3) geography - weather, location are also big factors for me (6ft of snow is unacceptable, same for boiling hot desert air)
3) quality of education (high passing rate on boards, high specialty matching rate, etc.)
4) specialty program - I'm interested in DMD/PhD or OMFS or Ortho
5) friendly staff & students - I don't want to be with grumpy and over-competitive classmates for the next 4 years

and maybe, just maybe how pretty the ladies are (in my class, or the nursing school, med school, etc.)... Not a deal-breaker if this is not the case.

Someone else on sdn said it once but for emphasis "money rules everything around me"

Reactions: 1 user
Money. High tuition is really never justifiable.

- Quality of education
- Class size
- Tuition
- Maturity of class
- Specialty programs

I am graduating in 5 months.... the ONLY criteria that matters is tuition.

I mean if the difference between the two schools is "neglectable" (less than 60k-ish)... choose the school that u like best... but if the difference is 100k+, GO WITH THE CHEAPER

Reactions: 1 user
For me the list was:

1. tuition
2. location (proximity to family/friends)
3. everything else (curriculum, facilities, prestige, etc)

All the factors in #3 are so hard to objectively quantify, which makes the decision even harder. I was looking at an $80k difference between my state school and UCSF - that number was just small enough that it was an incredibly difficult choice. I think when loan repayment time comes around and my loans are $100k less than what they would have been, I'll be happy with my choice, but right now that P/F curriculum at UCSF looks pretty good compared to the good ol' rank at my school.

Good luck with the decisions, everyone!

I am graduating in 5 months.... the ONLY criteria that matters is tuition.

I mean if the difference between the two schools is "neglectable" (less than 60k-ish)... choose the school that u like best... but if the difference is 100k+, GO WITH THE CHEAPER

Why did you go to UDM then? their tuition itself is like 80k?

Why did you go to UDM then? their tuition itself is like 80k?
ultimately, it was UDM vs UofMich.... with UDM I stay'd living at home, but at UofMich I had to move out.... the tuition difference after 4 years woulda been cheaper at Mich (but not by much).

ultimately, it was UDM vs UofMich.... with UDM I stay'd living at home, but at UofMich I had to move out.... the tuition difference after 4 years woulda been cheaper at Mich (but not by much).

You stayed with your folks for the entire 4 years of dschool?