What gpa would you have to maintain in Georgetown's SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProteinChemist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The Georgetown SMP allows students to take M1 courses at Georgetown and to get an A (highest honors) you have to be in the top 10% of the class. B is like top 20% or so.

That would be tough but do prospective med schools want to see above a 3.5 gpa for the Georgetown SMP? If you don't get a 3.5 are you basically f-ed in terms of getting into any med school?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

bump! i'd like to know too.

I did that program in the 2007-2008 academic year

Got Bs in all the MS1 classes and As in the grad classes, got into 3 schools (including my top 2)

Members don't see this ad :)
I did that program in the 2007-2008 academic year

Got Bs in all the MS1 classes and As in the grad classes, got into 3 schools (including my top 2)

Were you able to maintain at least a 3.5 then? Were the grad classes significantly easier? Would you mind divulging your GPA? :oops: Thanks.

I honestly don't remember what my final GPA was, I was already accepted by the end of the year and couldn't have cared less. If I had to guess, I'd say it was around a 3.5...in my recollection the smp courses are fairly equally split between med and grad classes (although this was prior to the med school switch to a block curriculum, so I can't promise this is still the case)

I'm pretty sure the 10% rule doesn't apply to the SMP students. The med students set the curve, and your letter grade is determined based on the med student curve, but As are not limited to the top 10% of the physios...it could theoretically be 50% of the physio class, but that doesn't happen ever.

The grad classes are easier, but in my opinion the med classes have superior instructors (with exception of a few grad instructors).

The stat they quoted us during orientation was something like 95% of physios (SMP students) get into med school during their physio year or the following year. You can get in to med school with solid Bs in the program.

Hope that helps!

wow, yeah, that is quite encouraging. thanks a lot for posting!