What grade requirement does your MSTP use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MSTP program says you cannot fall below the 25th percentile among your class or you will be kicked out.

What about your MSTP? Do they all have grade requirements like that?

Which school has the most stringent class rank/grade requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

As an applicant I can't answer your question, but this does interest me. I assume your talking about the medical school class that entered in the same year as you, right? What about the grad school years? What about re-entry into the med school cirriculum?

we don't have any cut off at the Tri-I that i know of [for pre-clin or otherwise], but i know at places like baylor you must stay in the top 1/3 or something or they give you a 'stern talking to' and possibly further action. i've heard something about hopkins having some sort of minimum expectations for the md/phds - but i don't think (m)any people have to worry about it. as with all places, however, if you are really doing poorly academically - someone will get in touch with you for a 'chat'.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Habari
but i know at places like baylor you must stay in the top 1/3 or something or they give you a 'stern talking to' and possibly further action.

I asked several people about this at Baylor when I second looked there--including students, faculty, and the director--and they totally denied it. In any case, there's no such requirement at Penn. I'm curious where this IS a requirement? I'd imagine the NIGMS would not be at all happy about that.

sorry if that is wrong, it would be best to check; this is what i heard from an interviewer who wasn't directly involved with the mstp.

even in case where there is no such requirement, you better get your acts together...med school isn't hard, but it's definitely not as easy as i thought--and people work much harder than you think they do

:(

UCSF is P/F the first two years and has no special requirement for MSTPs.

Originally posted by Vader
UCSF is P/F the first two years and has no special requirement for MSTPs.

Yeah but they still use class rank right? Or does your school not do AOA?

my school is honors/pass/fail. You can pass all your classes and still get kicked out of the MD/PhD program if you dont beat out enough of your med school colleagues.

However, they keep detailed grade breakdowns and a class rank list. If an MD/PhD student falls in the bottom 25th percentile of the class rank list, they are in jeapordy of losing their funding.

As for Baylor, I have a hard time believing that you have to finish in the top 1/3rd. Thats no small feat! I can understand them kicking you out for finishing in the bottom 10% or something, but thats crazy of them to cut you off if you cant get into the top 33%.

Suffice to say, if Baylor really does use that scheme, then I'm betting multiple MD/PhDs have been kicked out in teh past. The myth that MD/PhDs always finish at the top of their class is bogus, especially at a top med school like Baylor where EVERYBODY is extremely gifted.

UCSF officially does not rank students.

AOA membership is granted by a committee that elects students, almost totally based on the third year clerkships, which are on a H/P/F system.

Originally posted by MacGyver
Yeah but they still use class rank right? Or does your school not do AOA?

my school is honors/pass/fail. You can pass all your classes and still get kicked out of the MD/PhD program if you dont beat out enough of your med school colleagues.

However, they keep detailed grade breakdowns and a class rank list. If an MD/PhD student falls in the bottom 25th percentile of the class rank list, they are in jeapordy of losing their funding.

As for Baylor, I have a hard time believing that you have to finish in the top 1/3rd. Thats no small feat! I can understand them kicking you out for finishing in the bottom 10% or something, but thats crazy of them to cut you off if you cant get into the top 33%.

Suffice to say, if Baylor really does use that scheme, then I'm betting multiple MD/PhDs have been kicked out in teh past. The myth that MD/PhDs always finish at the top of their class is bogus, especially at a top med school like Baylor where EVERYBODY is extremely gifted.

Baylor probably gives you a stern talking to and moves your funding around so it doesn't reflect poorly on them.

from what i understand NYU's MD/PhD program requires that its students maintain a >85% average

I was just at the University of Connecticut. They told me that they require MSTP students to be above the mean GPA of the medical school class. They also have to maintain a B average in graduate school.

i dont know if anyone will know the answer to this question...after the MD/PhD programs, there's residency, correct? how important is GPA in your MD/PhD program in getting your desired residency, as opposed to otehr criteria, such as USMLE scores?

there have been studies done on correlations of various parts of medical students applications to residency acceptance, and it turns out that there is an inordinately high correlation between the dean's letter and acceptance over any other factor including grades, steps1/2 etc...

while the other things certainly factor in and are noticed, the compiled narrative of your time in medical school [mostly centering on clinical rotations and interactions with various people] counts for a lot.