what happens after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolleoboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a Navy HPSP third year dental student. With the upcoming graduation, I am still not familiar with the procedures as what will happen to me from the Navy. I have not done any officer trainings (I only did school orders). So do I complete the trainings first before they send me to my location? When do I start the active duty, right after my graduation in May? How does it work? Thanks in advance for your info! Walk me through this thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's how it went for me as I only did school orders as well. Graduate. (Think I graduated on the May 18th). Take trip to MEPS for physical for active duty and take the oath for your commission (I did that on May 20th). Wait for orders for OIS in Newport, RI. They handle the plane ticket and transportation for you. I reported to OIS on 16 JUN. You get fitted for uni's/PT gear right a way as well as get any lovely immunizations you forgot to get or don't have a record for. Finish OIS/fly back to place where stationed and report for duty, it will be on your orders. You'll have a sponsor at the clinic to help you go to the right places to make sure you're processed in.

Thanks for your reply. when do people finds out where they station

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's how it went for me as I only did school orders as well. Graduate. (Think I graduated on the May 18th). Take trip to MEPS for physical for active duty and take the oath for your commission (I did that on May 20th). Wait for orders for OIS in Newport, RI. They handle the plane ticket and transportation for you. I reported to OIS on 16 JUN. You get fitted for uni's/PT gear right a way as well as get any lovely immunizations you forgot to get or don't have a record for. Finish OIS/fly back to place where stationed and report for duty, it will be on your orders. You'll have a sponsor at the clinic to help you go to the right places to make sure you're processed in.
OIS or ODS?

Does the time between graduation and start of your active duty count towards the 4 year commitment? So would it be better to go ahead and do the officer training before/during school or does that count towards your payback if you have to wait until after graduation?

Does the time between graduation and start of your active duty count towards the 4 year commitment? So would it be better to go ahead and do the officer training before/during school or does that count towards your payback if you have to wait until after graduation?

Your payback starts when you start Active Duty AFTER graduation. If you do your officer training during school, this does not count towards your payback. That being said, I would still recommend doing it during school. This makes pay things easier when you come onto active duty.

Thanks for your reply. when do people finds out where they station

ODS and OIS are the same thing, just different generations of service. I was old school so OIS. New school is ODS. Apples are apples. You find out before you go to ODS where you will be stationed. I went from Milwaukee to Great Lakes, so I moved before going to ODS/OIS. You should have time to get moved to where you are stationed prior to ODS. ODS is not as hard as boot camp, but it's not lounge camp either.

ODS and OIS are the same thing, just different generations of service. I was old school so OIS. New school is ODS. Apples are apples. You find out before you go to ODS where you will be stationed. I went from Milwaukee to Great Lakes, so I moved before going to ODS/OIS. You should have time to get moved to where you are stationed prior to ODS. ODS is not as hard as boot camp, but it's not lounge camp either.

If you move before you go to ODS will they pay for the move if you have to move a household? Also, do they pay for you to go check out housing and what not?

Yes, they will pay for your move and for housing while you transition. They have officer quarters that you can stay for a short period while transitioning.

Your payback starts when you start Active Duty AFTER graduation. If you do your officer training during school, this does not count towards your payback. That being said, I would still recommend doing it during school. This makes pay things easier when you come onto active duty.

Hey AirborneDentist, is it possible to do officer training before school starts (I'm currently in undergrad)? Also, isn't there a risk of forgetting what you learned during officer training if you do it this early? I really don't know what all is involved in this, so just trying to get as much help as possible. Thanks!

You can do officer training before school. You have to work with your recruiter once you are selected to help you get the packet together. A lot of it is timing, there are things you need to have done in your packet before you can go, and there are timelines as well. USArmyHPSP may be able to expound further.

As far as forgetting...You may forget a little, but you will be fine.

Oh geez. So you had to do the whole MEPS process again after dental school? Hotel night with a bunch of 18 year olds AGAIN? lol

I am in my second year of dental school and did BOLC the summer before I started my first year (not many people did it so early). If you work with your recruiters, it's not even that hard to do. If you ask them to make sure all your paperwork is up to date (check MODS, the online portal they help set you up with) you just request BOLC training online through MODS once all the paperwork is verified. I'm sure I forgot a lot of what I learned, but overall I remember the important parts and really the experience is the main thing you should be taking home. A major benefit of doing it beforehand is that you will appear a lot more competent during your externships.

Hey AirborneDentist, is it possible to do officer training before school starts (I'm currently in undergrad)? Also, isn't there a risk of forgetting what you learned during officer training if you do it this early? I really don't know what all is involved in this, so just trying to get as much help as possible. Thanks!
I would DEFINITELY do it before you come into the Army. If that means before dental school, awesome. I did mine the summer before dental school. It will benefit you down the road for pay purposes. See what you have to do and get it done!