What happens at general interest meetings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillaxbro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to one soon. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They make you sign your name in blood to commit to the specialty, no matter what your board scores, clerkship grades, etc. It shows commitment.

Reactions: 6 users
free food. i never really enjoyed the food, but a lot of people come primarily for the food.

"What happens at general interest meetings?"

Pizza

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some interest groups in my school let you practice some procedures you might be doing as an MS3-4 or intern, which I think is pretty cool.

CV padding happens

Reactions: 1 user
I wish they'd vary it up a bit, but yeah, for cheap quick pizza -- Papa John's was on speed dial for med school interest group meetings.

I usually see Little Caesars or Costco when the planners want to go as cheap as possible. All you have to do is find a guy who doesn't mind having his car smell like pizza for the next couple days...

Some interest groups in my school let you practice some procedures you might be doing as an MS3-4 or intern, which I think is pretty cool.

Yeah the surgery interest group always sponsored a couple of suture sessions per year - the surgery residents would come and the surgery PD usually too. Fun.

I wish. Our school always used this cheap local pizza place that no one liked. I think they had some uber cheap deal with them.

I would have killed for some papa johns...
I didn't think any pizza place would make a pizza for less than Papa Johns. Maybe Domino's.

I didn't think any pizza place would make a pizza for less than Papa Johns. Maybe Domino's.

Little caesar's is the cheapest. $5 for large pepperoni or cheese. Plus they do discounts for groups, we can often get BOGO free if enough are ordered.

Free food. It's the lifeblood of grad students everywhere. Or free booze, if your school gives it to you.

Are you sitting through yet another lunch time meeting with a mediocre amount of food, only to sit though a presentation that is preventing you from enjoying your lunch break outside? Or gone to every single mass meeting for every group and felt pressured to put your email down only to be blasted with 40 emails a day that you guiltily trash without having the time to read?

AVuSuFO6vAaNl58TUYsM1telJMNnmTrJGlFhN0j-yazZHTajdVC9ay1-MQcmvPQegNSbcw=s0-d-e1-ft

I know that you have been getting a lot of emails, and it is probably stressing you out about which groups to join. Let's be honest, you only have so much free time during your brief stay here at XX Medical School, and you're ready to focus your efforts. This group is a totally radical shift for those people looking to finally join the end-all and be-all of interest groups. I introduce to you FTIG: Free Time Interest Group.

FTIGis a group of seriously motivated people dedicated to free time. We would have a mass meeting, but that would impinge upon free time and therefore against the very rules that we laid down in our constitution. Our meetings are on an individual basis--and I don't mean scheduled with leadership; you can call a meeting yourself anytime!

Our rules are rigorous, and therefore before you join we recommend that you check us out outside the lecture hall (and pretty much anywhere but the library) to really understand the commitment. Our rules are based on the golden ratio. Now many will interpret this to be the ascetically pleasing qualities that certain dimensions have on the human brain. But in reality it is the ratio of time spent doing school activities to free time activities. We maintain a strict 50:50 school to free time ratio... with a couple of caveats:

1. Sleeping does not count as school/work or free time
2. Free time activities have to be mutually exclusive with work/school, i.e. no studying while engaging in any free time activities!
3. Weekly submissions to our board for review

This is the last email sent to the entire the Medical School Community, so if you aren't already an FTIGmember, please join today to stay informed. Hope to see you outside the lecture hall.

The Leadership Would Like to Thank You For Your Time!

Director/Admiral/Chief/Head Honcho/Pancho Villa
O9RB9RVIH-5-MnDj3IpxmU7h2ELhv1vJw1F8kbcEPqrBCL8TyFkmfrnH-OXhYsDanR4f89MS7tns0ZRy5e0GnU0wxmLTYGMQmQdYn_SUa0IumlcPOp1qP8rMmsi2oGmi6AMTWPM=s0-d-e1-ft

The 'Co' version of everything above plus totally AWESOME!
ZvL74p8mnAGtuQX8NZpxnlFYdbeEIhAPO1kko1oSkz6zT2-NS0XIgoR7HtPwHcfW8J9eng=s0-d-e1-ft

Counselor In-Training / "She Met the Wrong People"
ReGt5j7pYwCTDt7Mv04CjCtOkIeF_GbsfvWcyjZS1G9WTwF-IJrska8M1-JNV5GR9RpRNQESBmJFwuJ6kjEKa95S2Pt_8BBjXEl5iXyPEXugsOU=s0-d-e1-ft
/
EpEA_5oBZX-IW_uAJs6eVEBrU0KGc5Tw4ZZb0kjWGlli0usGgQIOZBIKJR7EK5rD7fI=s0-d-e1-ft