What happens if I apply without a committee letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school's pre-med committee (well it's barely a committee, it's two people) needs us to have two letters of recommendation in by mid March. Most of the professors I was going to ask for letters of recommendation are my professors for this semester, so I can't meet that deadline. How bad does it look if I apply without a committee recommendation?
The school in question is RPI, btw.

Members don't see this ad.

If your school has one and you choose not to use it, it raises some red flags (so I've heard). Applying once and with strength is the best possible route of attack IMO.

I applied with a letter packet (a cover letter written by the committee on top of the my individual letters) rather than a committee letter and still got interviews, so I don't think it's a kiss of death. But I'm also 3 yrs out of school.

OP, if you really can't get the letters in on time to get a full committee letter, see if you can at least get a cover letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not the end of the world but schools will ask you to explain why you didn't go through the committee letter process when it exists for your undergraduate. This would be something to explain in secondaries under the "Is there anything else you want to tell us/explain to us" question, and you might get questions in interviews asking why you didn't use a committee letter.

If your school has one and you choose not to use it, it raises some red flags (so I've heard). Applying once and with strength is the best possible route of attack IMO.
From what I've gathered it raises more eyebrows and red flags. It's not likely to keep a qualified applicant from getting an interview but they will have to have a good answer for why they didn't use a committee letter.