What happens if I go into a lower ranked Med School?

Tigrane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I'm not talking about the best Medical School there is, like Stanford or San Francisco (Even though SF is right next to where I live). I'm talking about smaller "crappier" medical schools. If I were to go to UCSF for Medicine other than some not well known, easy to get into school, what am I sacrificing. Like, what are all the advantages of going to UCSF for example?

Members don't see this ad.

The VAST majority of American grads match. As long as you are at a US school, you don't really need to worry.

What UCSF might help with is getting residencies in CA since some of them, at least, seem to favor people from the area.

Going to a "top 10" school will be like any other in terms of difficulty, but you'll have amazing clinical rotations, research opportunities, and ability to network. Doing your 3rd/4th year all at UCSF hospital is a great way to get connections into their residency programs. That being said, you can still match almost anywhere from any school, provided you work hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to a "top 10" school will be like any other in terms of difficulty, but you'll have amazing clinical rotations, research opportunities, and ability to network. Doing your 3rd/4th year all at UCSF hospital is a great way to get connections into their residency programs. That being said, you can still match almost anywhere from any school, provided you work hard.
Well, I know this is early to think about, but I actually have my heart set on somewhere it is a bit cooler, or cold, like Denver. So if I was to move to Denver would going to specific school help?

If you graduate from the worst medical school in the county you match into a residency and then spend a lifetime in the top 5% of earners in the US...it's pretty risky, huh?

Going to a top 10 school can make a huge difference IF you do well there and get strong board scores. You will have an easier time getting into strong residency programs or competitive specialties (plastics, derm, etc.). As was stated, you will also have better opportunities than you may have at 'weaker' schools. Other than that, it doesn't matter. The med school graduate that finishes last in his or her class is still called 'doctor'. You're still in hs though, so just focus on doing well in undergrad. No point in asking about UCSF med if you can't get the grades/MCAT score to get in.

Just realize that places like SDN are highly biased places. The vast majority of the real world applicants that don't post are super proud and happy to be at any medical school and are less concerned about "name" and "rep" as places like SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't get into a top 10, you will die a poor Lonely death, and will only be able to recommend herbal supplements from CVS

Reactions: 1 users
All medical schools are competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Just realize that places like SDN are highly biased places. The vast majority of the real world applicants that don't post are super proud and happy to be at any medical school and are less concerned about "name" and "rep" as places like SDN.

Not true. SDN mirrors life perfectly...

Reactions: 1 user