What happens if I hold more than one acceptance after May 15th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiki23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few acceptances, and was wondering if I would be able to hold more than one spot after May 15th?

I know that I would lose the $100 deposit, but some schools do not even require a deposit!

What happens if I am holding more than one acceptance?

Has anyone talked to the AAMC about this situation?

+pity+

Members don't see this ad.

but why would you want to do that?

Why in the world wouldn't you be able to make a decision by May 15th?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't hold multiple acceptances after May 15th; however, you are allowed to remain on multiple waitlists.

From AAMC:

By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application, by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods, from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.

Ok, but that still doesn't answer my question. Lets say I am holding two acceptances after May 15th. What will they do? I figure I would just lose my deposit at the school that I don't choose. But what if they didn't require a deposit?

Anyone have a REAL answer?

Ok, but that still doesn't answer my question. Lets say I am holding two acceptances after May 15th. What will they do? I figure I would just lose my deposit at the school that I don't choose. But what if they didn't require a deposit?

??? why would u do that? that's just mean.. give someone else a chance

After may 15th the school can see who else accepted you and check to see that you've withdrawn everywhere else except waitlists. I'm assuming that if you refused to follow their rules they could withdraw your acceptance. I'm sure they would contact you and warn you but this is a pretty big deal. They need to know how many yes's they have to start to figure out what to do with their waitlist to ensure their incoming class is the right size, if everyone did what you're suggesting it would be chaos, and medschools don't appreciate chaos. Besides, it would be a really dick move for people who are waiting on waitlists at that school.

I have a few acceptances, and was wondering if I would be able to hold more than one spot after May 15th?

Why? Are you that indecisive that it's going to take you in excess of five months to make a decision? I hope you're never my doctor.

If you are so curious about it, why haven't YOU spoken with AAMC? Do you find making a phone call challenging? Or are you just lazy?

You sound like a real ass. I hope you decide to hold more than one acceptance and totally screw yourself. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I can understand why you'd want to do that, for instance if you were coordinating with a significant other who wasn't yet sure where he/she was going (I'm really worried right now myself that me&boyf will figure this out in time!!), who maybe was on some waitlists but not accepted anywhere yet or some such.

And that would be a tough call, so I'm not gonna yell at you for being stuck like that.

I honestly have no clue, an adcomm would be much better suited to answer this, but I would imagine that after a while the schools might notice? One or the other? And I would imagine they'd at least first contact you to say "yo, what's up, why are you still holding a place at this other school?" and give you a chance to make an excuse and drop something... so that might give you a little extra time. I don't think they'd both kick you out instantly, though get someone else to confirm this :p, I don't want you riding on my uninformed statement! :p But personally, I suspect you'd be safe at least for a little while, though only a little while. Enough time to make an excuse, maybe even pretend you were on holiday an extra day or two....

But for the sake of everyone else out there, only use this if it's a dire situation, of course.

in my opinion its just bad karma to do what the OP is suggesting.
grow a pair and make up your mind.

I'd agree that unless it was a last resort to coordinate plans with a spouse, you should avoid attempting to hold multiples past May 15th. I'm guessing that this is your first time applying? Freeing up those unneeded acceptances should be a priority for someone who's concerned about others going through this process. If you are a caring individual who spent last summer on multiple wait lists, you'd drop those acceptances like hot potatoes.

Hey everyone, leave the OP alone, I don't think there is any reason to get upset over the question. I can think of many reasons to hold mutliple acceptances after May 15th, but by multiple I mean 2-3. Significant others, financial aid packages, etc. Anyways, you would definitely lose the deposit at a school. And also, I thought most places did require a deposit after May 15, even if not before. I remember hearing one admissions person say that if you are still having trouble deciding, to call them personally and let them know. They won't revoke your acceptance, but they will give you a small 'extension'. It's a big decision, take your time, but not too much time :D

Members don't see this ad :)
For my own personal clarification, have we said that you CAN hold your waitlist spots even after May 15 when you have an acceptance?

So if I'm in to X school (and paid my deposit), I can still remain on the waitlists for A,B,& C and attend any of those schools if they do offer me a spot? I would just lose my deposit to X?

For my own personal clarification, have we said that you CAN hold your waitlist spots even after May 15 when you have an acceptance?

So if I'm in to X school (and paid my deposit), I can still remain on the waitlists for A,B,& C and attend any of those schools if they do offer me a spot? I would just lose my deposit to X?

UNLESS your dilemma is truly due to an UNAVOIDABLE delay in a spouse's or fiance's geographical decision, it is just not nice. Basically, I think it's selfish and unethical. There are qualified people who will be forced to make major alternative plans by then.

I know that I would lose the $100 deposit, but some schools do not even require a deposit!

+pity+

Sorry about my last post...holding waitlist positions is ok I think. It's holding multiple acceptances that I have a problem with.

Speaking as someone who's only tangible opportunity at present is a waitlist, I give the idea of holding multiple acceptances past May 15 two thumbs down :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I have heard from premed-advising sources at my school that if you hold multiple acceptance past May 15, the schools have the right to rescind your acceptances. I'm sure, though, that if you communicate well (don't play games and hope they won't notice) with the schools you wish to do this with that they might support a reasonable situation. Good luck.

+pity+

You get downgraded and have to select from a list of Chiropracty schools.

Hey. Don't get mad at me. I didn't make the rules.

Yeah as usual leave it to people on these forums to suck. Anyway, I've heard you can hold and nothing happens, but they do see all your acceptances. But, I've also heard that you can lose a spot if you wait too long (August/July). But anyway, people do have to wait and hear from financial aid etc. so your question wasn't that outrageous.

I read the OP thinking this was an interesting question. Instead of actually trying to answer the question, most people just asked why. Who cares why, that is why the question was asked. Thanks to everyone who actually attempted to provide an answer to this question instead of being judgmental and condescending.

It's not judgmental or condescending to expect human empathy from a future physician.

Schools can see where else you've been accepted and the spots you're still holding starting in the spring (I think the admissions director at USF, "REL," said they can see this some time in March? Do a search to find his posts on this.).

After May 15, schools start checking in earnest on people who are holding slots, and will probably contact you if you appear to be holding more than one spot. They have the right to rescind your acceptance if you're holding more than one spot (I think most schools don't start doing this until mid-June, but I'm not sure if the few schools that begin classes in July get to do this earlier).

I had withdrawn from a school in early May (a week or so before the 15th) last year, but the withdrawal hadn't worked its way through the system by the 15th. The school I wanted to attend sent me a snail mail that arrived just before the 15th, saying that I was still holding on to other acceptances and that I needed to withdraw from the other schools if I wanted to attend there, or they would commence proceedings to revoke my acceptance.

If you stay in communication with the schools in question before May 15 and explain what's going on, if it's an understandable reason, the schools may extend the deadline for you. I wouldn't risk just keeping the acceptances and not telling the schools, however--what if the school you wind up wanting to attend drops you without notifying you (I don't know if they have to do so, or if they could just drop you and notify you after the fact) and has already filled your spot with a waitlister? :eek:

+pity+

The SDN gang will obtain your IP address, come to your home, and beat you until you agree to withdraw all but one of your acceptances.

I believe that CCLCM doesn't want you holding on to other acceptances after April 15, and can revoke their acceptance if you are.

The May 15th rule is for YOUR benefit. Med schools have to be nice until then. After May 15th if you're still holding multiple acceptances (they can see if you are) they can start being rude. They can send you an email at noon telling you that they want a $10,000 deposit by 5pm or they are rescinding your acceptance. They can do whatever they want to force you to commit or withdraw from their school.

They no longer have to give you appropriate notice (2 wks), nor are they limited by the $100 deposit limit. What they do will depend on the school and situation, but they can do pretty much whatever they want.

Thats why you don't want to do it. After the 15th, AMCAS rules no longer protect YOU as an applicant.

Yeah honestly, I wouldn't risk it. You run the risk of loosing both acceptances and even getting blacklisted.

If you have a legit time-constrained issue, I would contact both schools and ask for an extension of that deadline. But if you just "can't decide", I would tell you to suck it up and deal.

~Silk and Steel

Looking over the T-Z acceptance page, I see that you have acceptances at Tufts, UPitt, and Vandy. Come on, plenty of people would KILL to get into these schools.

If you're waiting on financials, a spouse, or something concrete, then okay. But if you're just stalling your decision then I URGE you to think of others and free up a spot for other people languishing on the wait list, many of which are your fellow SDNers. If you look around at people's MDapp profiles, a lot of people with multiple acceptances withdraw from a lot of them even before the May 15th deadline. Come on, it's simple courtesy. Be a good person and just make up your mind.

~Silk and Steel

I believe that CCLCM doesn't want you holding on to other acceptances after April 15, and can revoke their acceptance if you are.
Just to clarify, CCLCM does not automatically revoke your acceptance on April 15 if you're still holding a second acceptance somewhere else. I doubt that any other medical school would do that either. What they will do though is ask you to please make a decision one way or the other so that they can fill your spot if you're not planning on coming. Ideally, it's best for you to withdraw from all of your acceptances but one by the traffic date (May 15 for most schools, Apr. 15 at CCLCM and a few others that start early).

wiki23, if you know that you cannot meet the May 15 deadline, you should contact each school and discuss this with them. Like thebrownnote said, it's not a good idea to just do nothing and let the deadline go by, but there's no rule against asking for an extension if you really need one. In my experience, medical schools are pretty nice about working with you if you explain your situation to them. :)

I read the OP thinking this was an interesting question. Instead of actually trying to answer the question, most people just asked why. Who cares why, that is why the question was asked. Thanks to everyone who actually attempted to provide an answer to this question instead of being judgmental and condescending.

Who cares why? Well, since I'm one of the people who asked why, let me explain it to you, D-bag.

If the OP wants to know because his wife is in the Army, and is waiting on PCS orders, and will choose his school based on which is closest to her, the schools may cut him a break and let him hang on after the "deadline".

However, if he is just an indecisive turd, they will probably strongly encourage him to shove his multiple acceptances up his a$$.

See, circumstances typically count more with schools than hard and fast rules. It really has nothing to with the AAMC, it has to do with the individual schools involved.

And again, thanks for your waste of a post.

Thanks to all those who helped answer my question.

To the other people out there who were completely rude, I think you should be a little less judgmental. As other people noted, there are numerous reasons why someone might need to hold more than one acceptance past May 15th.

Thanks to all those who helped answer my question.
To the other people out there who were completely rude, I think you should be a little less judgmental. As other people noted, there are numerous reasons why someone might need to hold more than one acceptance past May 15th.
Then maybe you should have put that in your original post instead of looking like a jerk who likes to bend rules.

Your question has been answered, but I agree with Pinker that you should have explained why you wanted to hold on to both acceptances.

Considering that many people on this board are hoping to get just one acceptance late in this year's cycle, it's easy to see how some people can get aggravated.

Either way, I implore you to decide on one school before May 15 for fear that you might jeopardize both (or even multiple) acceptances.
-Dr. P.