What happens now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Integra99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the fourth year of the Navy HPSP program and recently I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, to which I am currently taking medication, which has helped me tremendously and I'll probably have to be on for a while. What happens now? Do I get kicked out of HPSP and have to pay all the monies back or am I let go? I'm prepared for any consequence that may happen. If anyone knows about this type of situation please help me with this.

Members don't see this ad.

Integra99 said:
I'm in the fourth year of the Navy HPSP program and recently I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, to which I am currently taking medication, which has helped me tremendously and I'll probably have to be on for a while. What happens now? Do I get kicked out of HPSP and have to pay all the monies back or am I let go? I'm prepared for any consequence that may happen. If anyone knows about this type of situation please help me with this.

1. Read the contract with a fine-toothed comb. If you have access to a free attorney friend (or have a few bucks to shell out) have him/her also read the contract.

2. Contact CAPT Steve Frost at BUMED. He's a no-nonsense person and will get you the straight answer. [email protected]

While this is just a gut feeling and not gospel, I wouldn't think it's the end of your military career, especially given current recruitment and retention statistics. It might, however, make you ineligible for certain classes/jobs, such as flight surgeon and submarine medicine. I would be hard-pressed to see how it would bar you from a clinic-based slot.

If it is disqualifying, you are sent on your way. No money to pay back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anxiety d/o ? That's a mighty big club. They used to call that the "pucker factor"

There are many people on AD suffering from the exact opposite illness:

Narcissistic Overconfidence. It's killing more people than you'll ever get a crack at.

Relax, there is no need to start worrying unnecessarily.I recommend that you wait a while and see how you do. If you are functioning well with medication and have had no incidents- you might not be disqualified. There are some patients that I have seen in the Army with the same type of illness (many OIF/OEF veterans and some very senior Officers and NCO's). These patients are functioning well in the Army and there is no talk of kicking them out (these days, going to a psychiatrist will not automatically kick you out of the army). My opinion is that you have a medical problem and it is being dealt with- it is going to take some time.

i would work it...

have a major freak-out session, bring the episode to medical attention, get it documented, maybe even mentioned in your dean's letter, have a couple more melt downs, and I bet you'll be non-deployable, and out of the military.

that IS what you're interested in, correct?

xTNS

Either that, or your quality of life will improve. They'll keep you and start dumping on all the other stoics on your team that pride themselves in getting bent over.

thenavysurgeon said:
i would work it...

have a major freak-out session, bring the episode to medical attention, get it documented, maybe even mentioned in your dean's letter, have a couple more melt downs, and I bet you'll be non-deployable, and out of the military.

xTNS

Lots of physicians have problems. Whether your are in the military or not, the trick is you have to learn how to balance them and not let them interfere with your career. I know for a fact you can take anti-depressants and be on active duty. There are some things you can't do like serve on a submarine or fly a plane with a psych history. If your symptoms are mild to moderate, you are compliant with your treatment I don't think it would be problem.

Just follow up with psych when you start your internship. Remember never to prescribe yourself psych meds. That will cause you to lose your license.

Integra99 said:

I am pretty sure you will get a waiver. No worries.

I'm wondering why you can't take them discreetly? If you went to a doctor off base to treat the disorder, how would the military ever know?

If you stay away from the Benzos, you could probably pull it off, otherwise you'll have some explaining to do on a random drug screen.

dexadental said:
I'm wondering why you can't take them discreetly? If you went to a doctor off base to treat the disorder, how would the military ever know?

thenavysurgeon said:
i would work it...

xTNS

Anyone else reminded of this:

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle. 'That's some catch, that Catch-22,' he observed. 'It's the best there is,' Doc Daneeka agreed.