What hotel to stay at near barry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paulywog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview invite to Barry and wanted to know what hotels are close to the school and are relatively decent looking. Anything I should know/expect before the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an interview invite to Barry and wanted to know what hotels are close to the school and are relatively decent looking. Anything I should know/expect before the interview?

Newport Beachside Resort...great place and you get a decent discount from Barry. It is in Sunny Isles Beach, the taxi cost like $30 but it was only about a 20 minute ride. I went with a few buddies from college, more or less on a mini vacation.

Interview itself is pretty much a joke, definitely the easiest of the 8 pod schools in my opinion (I've interviewed at them all). A few feel-good questions like "why podiatry, why barry?" You are interviewed by only 1 person, a lawyer, nice guy but does not know much about the pod program. Same goes with the tour...the girl really didn't know anything about podiatry or Barry's program.

Any specific questions about the interview day or my thoughts/opinions, send me a private message.

Good luck!

When I interviewed I stayed for two nights at the Shelly Hotel in South Beach. I was shocked to see how affordable and nice the hotel was...paid $40 for one night and $60 for the other night. The room was fully stocked (wine, goodies, refreshments, etc.) and you also get free drinks from the bar and a free shuttle ride to and from airport. The school is only 15 mins. away. I rented a car, but I would not recommend that because you pay for parking by the hour! The hotel is around the corner from the beach and all the great clubs/bars are walking distance.

When I interviewed the Dean was actually very knowledgeable about the program. I asked lots of questions and he was able to answer them with no hesitation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for some input. I will look into them.

When I interviewed I stayed for two nights at the Sherry Hotel in South Beach. I was shocked to see how affordable and nice the hotel was...paid $40 for one night and $60 for the other night. The room was fully stocked (wine, goodies, refreshments, etc.) and you also get free drinks from the bar and a free shuttle ride to and from airport. The school is only 15 mins. away. I rented a car, but I would not recommend that because you pay for parking by the hour! The hotel is around the corner from the beach and all the great clubs/bars are walking distance.

When I interviewed the Dean was actually very knowledgeable about the program. I asked lots of questions and he was able to answer then with no hesitation.

The dean also said Barry had a 96% first time pass rate on the part 1 boards. He seemed very confident about this too. Honestly, I don't see how this is true information. Maybe including re-takes and such, but definitely not first time.

I turned my interview into an extended vacation afterwards :) Stayed at The Palms in South Beach.....pretty awesome location.

I turned my interview into an extended vacation afterwards :) Stayed at The Palms in South Beach.....pretty awesome location.

lol me too. i turned a simply interview into a 3 night stay and bought tickets to the miami heat/clippers game and plan on learning to surf!

The dean also said Barry had a 96% first time pass rate on the part 1 boards. He seemed very confident about this too. Honestly, I don't see how this is true information. Maybe including re-takes and such, but definitely not first time.

I know there are many ways to doctor a response to make the program seem great...many schools do this. I was just adding that I thought he was very knowledgeable about the program, JMHO.:D

The two students that we had lunch with were also very intellegent and very knowlegeable about the program. They were sincere and happy to be a part of Barry.

I know there are many ways to doctor a response to make the program seem great...many schools do this. I was just adding that I thought he was very knowledgeable about the program, JMHO.:D

The two students that we had lunch with were also very intellegent and very knowlegeable about the program. They were sincere and happy to be a part of Barry.

When I went to my interview, I just wish I could have had TALKED to some 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years. I really had my heart set on Barry before my interview because I didn't want to leave Florida. But I didn't get any pod student input like I did at the other schools I interviewed at. I think students are a lot more candid than admins., but I only saw them in a passing glance. Oh well. :rolleyes:

When I interviewed I stayed for two nights at the Shelly Hotel in South Beach. I was shocked to see how affordable and nice the hotel was...paid $40 for one night and $60 for the other night. The room was fully stocked (wine, goodies, refreshments, etc.) and you also get free drinks from the bar and a free shuttle ride to and from airport. The school is only 15 mins. away. I rented a car, but I would not recommend that because you pay for parking by the hour! The hotel is around the corner from the beach and all the great clubs/bars are walking distance.

When I interviewed the Dean was actually very knowledgeable about the program. I asked lots of questions and he was able to answer them with no hesitation.

I totally agree on the dean being knowledgable about the program. I dont get it, why do some people think he knows little or nothing about the program? Is it because hes a laywer and not a pod?

I, personally, have asked him a lot of questions through email/what not. I find him very informative and knowledgable about the program.

I totally agree on the dean being knowledgable about the program. I dont get it, why do some people think he knows little or nothing about the program? Is it because hes a laywer and not a pod?

I, personally, have asked him a lot of questions through email/what not. I find him very informative and knowledgable about the program.

Just the interview experience at Barry is a joke. Comon, an automated interview invite sent 4-6 hours after you apply? :sleep: Anywho, I'd rather be interviewed by one of their basic science professors, DPM, pod student even (or a combination of all 3 like AZPOD, DMU, and NYCPM do). They at least can somewhat see if you have the stones to make it through the curriculum or not (or I you are sincere about the profession). I know some people graduating soon at Barry who said they lost HALF their class due to students failing out, switching professions, etc. The only other school which you are interviewed by someone not involved in medicine/science is Ohio, which itself is quite lax on admission standards (but getting a little better). I don't think the man knows about resolution 2015, scope of practice issues, near future problems with the profession (residency shortage), etc. I was asked specificially about things like this or discussed them during other pod school interviews and I feel it is important for applicants to know about them BEFORE going to pod school. Hell, I talked to another "interviewee" there who was telling me that pods were able to do knee surgery :eek:

The dean was nice and seemed confident about the program but some things felt kind of sketchy. There is no way Barry has a 96 % pass rate on the part 1 boards (first time pass rate). When schools have great pass rates, you hear about them and they are posted for everyone to see (like AZPOD, DMU, Scholl). Maybe he misunderstood my question, that of course is a possibility. When you count in re-takes and such, the pass rate is always extremely high.

I agree with you, the interview was a joke. But for most pod schools, if you get an interview, 98% of the time, you'll be accepted. So far, from all the people I have talked to, they all got accepted to wherever they got interviewed. Do you know anyone who has gotten rejected after interviewing at a pod school?

I agree that Barry is not very selective, but that doesnt concern me at all. The program itself is hard. People failing wont affect the way I study. In my Pchem class and university physics class, we started out with 70-80 students and ended up with about 20 students after the first test.

The students with below avg gpa/mcat probably wont make it through. And like every other grad. schools, you will always get students switching from one profession to another. That is normal from what I understand. I actually know of someone who switched from opt. school to pharm school after 2 years into the program.

I dont know about the 1st time pass rates for barry, but I do agree with you that it's not 96%. I heard it was somewhere near 80%.

Do you guys remember what time the interview started and ended. I am trying to figure out if I should fly out that night after the interview or wait till the next morning. I don't want to miss my Ochem lab class the next day!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I went to my interview, I just wish I could have had TALKED to some 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years. I really had my heart set on Barry before my interview because I didn't want to leave Florida. But I didn't get any pod student input like I did at the other schools I interviewed at. I think students are a lot more candid than admins., but I only saw them in a passing glance. Oh well. :rolleyes:

You did not get to have lunch with the students:confused: Thats really unfortunate, the students are what ultimately won me over. Me and the other person I interviewed with were amazed to see how bright the students were...they were only 2nd yr. students, but you'd think they were atleast 4th yr.

The dean was nice and seemed confident about the program but some things felt kind of sketchy. There is no way Barry has a 96 % pass rate on the part 1 boards (first time pass rate). When schools have great pass rates, you hear about them and they are posted for everyone to see (like AZPOD, DMU, Scholl). Maybe he misunderstood my question, that of course is a possibility. When you count in re-takes and such, the pass rate is always extremely high.

It really depends on how you worded the question...did you specifically say "first time pass rate?"

Do you guys remember what time the interview started and ended. I am trying to figure out if I should fly out that night after the interview or wait till the next morning. I don't want to miss my Ochem lab class the next day!

My interview started at 10:30am and i was done around 1PM. I left around 7pm the same day due to work issues and so on..

does anybody know when we are suppose to get the orientation packet? The last i heard was July but i just wanna make sure.

It really depends on how you worded the question...did you specifically say "first time pass rate?"

Yes, I asked him afterwards if he was sure it was the first time pass rate.

The overall pass rate does not mean crap in all honestly, obviously it is going to be extremely high due to re-takes or ones who had more time to study.

You did not get to have lunch with the students:confused: Thats really unfortunate, the students are what ultimately won me over. Me and the other person I interviewed with were amazed to see how bright the students were...they were only 2nd yr. students, but you'd think they were atleast 4th yr.

It might have swayed me as well. I was there on the first day of interviews so maybe they didn't get the pod students in there for lunch until later...

I'm sure everyone has different experiences everywhere you go when you interview. All I know is that I got the best vibe interviewing at Barry. Everyone there seemed very nice and the students I talked to were very knowledgeable. Like every institution, there are positives and negatives. But Barry has everything that I am looking for. So I have recently decided that I will be attending there in the fall.

Does anyone happen to know what the biochemistry textbook is for first year students (that is, if there is one)?

Congrats on your first post Rassilon

Yes, I asked him afterwards if he was sure it was the first time pass rate.

The overall pass rate does not mean crap in all honestly, obviously it is going to be extremely high due to re-takes or ones who had more time to study.

It might not mean "crap", but schools often use that number since it sounds better.

It might have swayed me as well. I was there on the first day of interviews so maybe they didn't get the pod students in there for lunch until later...

Yeah, they should have had that together or let you come back another day. My interview was on the second interview day. There were only two other people who interviewed with me that day. :)

I'm sure everyone has different experiences everywhere you go when you interview. All I know is that I got the best vibe interviewing at Barry. Everyone there seemed very nice and the students I talked to were very knowledgeable. Like every institution, there are positives and negatives. But Barry has everything that I am looking for. So I have recently decided that I will be attending there in the fall.

Does anyone happen to know what the biochemistry textbook is for first year students (that is, if there is one)?

Toche...its unfortunate that some people post bad comments to try to sway one to one school over another. I'm sure that I can find something bad about every school. Had I listened to all the negative post on SDN about Barry I would have missed out on a great school. I was amazed to see how completely different the school and students were.

If you go into an interview expecting everything to be a "joke" based on preconcieved notions then I'm sure your conception will come true.

Toche...its unfortunate that some people post bad comments to try to sway one to one school over another. I'm sure that I can find something bad about every school. Had I listened to all the negative post on SDN about Barry I would have missed out on a great school. I was amazed to see how completely different the school and students were.

If you go into an interview expecting everything to be a "joke" based on preconcieved notions then I'm sure your conception will come true.

I am with you about that.

Hey for all ya'll coming in for the podiatry prog in the fall- I have a luxury rental apt where a lot of the pod students stay at barry that is going out for rent...its beautiful!! im a one year bms student that will be finished in june and have to move to ft.laudrdale for dental school, so anybody that is interested and want pics of the place, or want to see it, jus PM me! My lease gets up later than I have to move out so i am looking for somebody to sublet and and then you can take over for the rest of the year if you would like!

???? i'm guessing you used priceline or something? i'm at shelly hotel in south beach as i type this and the cheapest room i could get was $170 a night. and definately be careful with the 'goodies' in the room because it is expensive and adds up quick.

i stayed at the clinton hotel yesterday which was nice, now shelly for 2 nights and i cant complain. they both are within a minute or two walking distance from each other though. clinton is aesthetically more pleasing and i liked it more, but it was also about $20 more a night.

i agree, many people said to rent a car but i went with the taxi service and am so glad i did. we had cheap reservations for EZ car rental but the place closed and only had the upper expensive cars for rent. we tried another car rental and it came to $450 for 3 days (with insurance, taxes, etc) which is so god damn ridiculous its not funny. my friend and i have been splitting taxi costs and as long as you dont consistently travel or do long distances you are fine.

???? i'm guessing you used priceline or something? i'm at shelly hotel in south beach as i type this and the cheapest room i could get was $170 a night. and definately be careful with the 'goodies' in the room because it is expensive and adds up quick.

i stayed at the clinton hotel yesterday which was nice, now shelly for 2 nights and i cant complain. they both are within a minute or two walking distance from each other though. clinton is aesthetically more pleasing and i liked it more, but it was also about $20 more a night.

i agree, many people said to rent a car but i went with the taxi service and am so glad i did. we had cheap reservations for EZ car rental but the place closed and only had the upper expensive cars for rent. we tried another car rental and it came to $450 for 3 days (with insurance, taxes, etc) which is so god damn ridiculous its not funny. my friend and i have been splitting taxi costs and as long as you dont consistently travel or do long distances you are fine.

I believe it was hotels.com...

Its probably depends on the season. A lots of students are currently on spring break. I went in Aug. 07.

...also wasn't charged for any of the snacks in the room so it was an excellent deal for me!

fyi- all air fares and hotels are probably at a high during the week of mar 23 since the annual Winter Music Conference (WMC) is going on in Miami/South Beach.....its a music festival if your into house music and all that.....people are flying from all over the country and beyond.

fyi- all air fares and hotels are probably at a high during the week of mar 23 since the annual Winter Music Conference (WMC) is going on in Miami/South Beach.....its a music festival if your into house music and all that.....people are flying from all over the country and beyond.

yup you r right about that. i wanted to book a flight but i am gonna wait till may or june now.