What if I don't have a lot of research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_lo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medical school in May and am concerned about my lack of research involvement. It was really hard for me to find opportunities due to covid. However, I am currently doing an independent qualitative research project for my honors requirement. Is this enough? I have many other extracurriculars just not research-based.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to medical school in May and am concerned about my lack of research involvement. It was really hard for me to find opportunities due to covid. However, I am currently doing an independent qualitative research project for my honors requirement. Is this enough? I have many other extracurriculars just not research-based.
Are you wishing to apply to the T20 research schools are are you looking for admission to a school that trains primary care docs for people of that state? The schools that put a high value on research productivity of their med students are going to be looking for people who have done that in the past. The other schools, not so much. What you want will determine if you've done enough to satisfy the adcoms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Are you wishing to reply to the T20 research schools are are you looking for admission to a school that trains primary care docs for people of that state? The schools that put a high value on research productivity of their med students are going to be looking for people who have done that in the past. The other schools, not so much. What you want will determine if you've done enough to satisfy the adcoms.
I'm taking a gap year, I am currently a senior, if I got involved with research during that time would that improve my chances?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking a gap year, I am currently a senior, if I got involved with research during that time would that improve my chances?
IMO, if you are strong in every other area of your app (i.e. grades, MCAT etc.) and research is the only place your lacking... it could increase your chances in getting into potentially better schools. Research shows that you can think independently as a scientist to come to conclusions so if you get into a lab and get poster presentations, a pub, or even both its going to greatly enhance your application. I took a research gap year and applied this cycle. Out of the 6 M.D. schools I was accepted too each one talked about my research experiences and how the skills/knowledge I learned could be applicable as a med student/physician.

If you're strong in all other aspects I would definitely look into it considering you are already committed to a gap year. NIH has opportunities, med schools have opportunities and undergrad institutions also have opportunities. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about getting involved somewhere! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
To the OP: I am interested in any prehealth advising feedback you received. From past posts you have a good academic record it seems but you ask a lot about activities.

Reactions: 1 user
Focus on med schools that do not put a lot of emphasis on research and focus more primary care and producing clinicians. That seems to be where your interests lie anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
It just means that you will need a very unique story or other very interesting ECs (ex. Teach for America, Peace Corps, Military) to crack T20 schools.