What if I don't match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is the best option if you don't match?

• any other options that people can think of or that have worked for others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bonvivant07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked before, but I wanted to know more information because perusing the old threads didn't answer all of my questions.
Also, I know the "what if" question isn't that great, but since we don't have that much time between the match email and the start of SOAP, I wanted to ask it just in case in order to be prepared.
If nothing else, hopefully this helps someone else out.
I applied for Psychiatry and I am a AMG at an MD school, if that matters at all.

What is best or what are the pros and cons of the following options;
1) Internal prelim year,
2) MPH,
3) research,
4) extending medical school graduation date,
5) any other options that people can think of or that have worked for others?

Members don't see this ad.

Best option is to scrample into an open psych spot. There were 30 or so last year.

But I'm sure you know that, after 5 ranks you've got a 95% or so chance of matching in psych.

Prelim year by far... But they re actually pretty hard to get.

Prelim year by far... But they re actually pretty hard to get.

I think there are plenty of prelim surg spots if I'm not mistaken. I mean, it wouldn't be ideal, but IMO it's still better than doing something non clinical.

I think there are plenty of prelim surg spots if I'm not mistaken. I mean, it wouldn't be ideal, but IMO it's still better than doing something non clinical.

As a future psychiatrist this would maybe get you 3 months of credit, for what I hear is a giant PITA year. I'd suggest managing a fast food restaurant for a year before this.

As a future psychiatrist this would maybe get you 3 months of credit, for what I hear is a giant PITA year. I'd suggest managing a fast food restaurant for a year before this.

Right but if someone didn't match into psychiatry, it probably wasn't because they didn't have enough research or enough experience managing a fast food restaurant. Maybe rad onc or something, you can argue that a research year would be beneficial. But in psychiatry, there was probably some academic or clinical difficulty so even if it's a PITA, and you don't get credit, it would show the programs that you can function clinically, especially if you get letters from your internship PD stating that. The year may suck but you don't scrub in all that much your intern year so a lack of surgical skill won't hurt as much, giving you a chance to work hard and do well, and I think that would make someone more likely to give you a chance.

There are people who switch from surgery to psych all the time. Maybe they don't get credit but PDs seem open to that transition provided you did well.

I matched into my number 1 :soexcited::banana::biglove:. But some of my classmates did not match at all, so I think this is a worthwhile discussion. Thank you for everyone that replied, even though I matched anyways it was good to know that there's always a person that is willing to give advice.