What if I take 2014 and 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmt2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on completing organic 1 and 2 this summer and I'll be done with my prereqs by August. My plan was to take the MCAT in October so that in case I do really poorly, I can study some more and retake it in January, while the old MCAT is still being offered.

A friend told me that it may be better to hold off and take the 2015 MCAT because it's more of an "even playing field" (also my degree is in psychology so that may be helpful)

However, I want to take it in October before I invest more time/money in upcoming semesters taking additional sciences to raise my low GPA. I wanted to use the MCAT to see where I stand and go from there.

My fear is taking it in October, scoring low, and then having to retake the 2015 one. What would adcoms think of seeing a low score on the old MCAT?

The obvious answer is to just ace it the first time ;) but what should I do? When should I take the MCAT??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same shoes as you. I registered for January 2015 date with the old mcat. My thought is, as I'm studying and taking practice aamcs, I'll be able to gauge my ability to do well...and if so will switch it to a november mcat date. However, if I am struggling, I will just wait until the january date and definitely give it my best shot.

I'm in the same shoes as you. I registered for January 2015 date with the old mcat. My thought is, as I'm studying and taking practice aamcs, I'll be able to gauge my ability to do well...and if so will switch it to a november mcat date. However, if I am struggling, I will just wait until the january date and definitely give it my best shot.
I'm doing the opposite- I'm registered November, so I can force myself to study and not keep saying "it's so far away- I got time". This way, if I mess up I got another shot Janurary