What if I was asked "In a galvanic cell, which electrode is at a higher potential"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

September24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just thought of a question. Could I answer this question? In a galvanic cell, the anode is negatively charged while cathode is positively charged.

This makes cathode at a higher potential than anode since protons go from high to low potential. Is this all there is to it because technically, an electron has a high potential energy at an anode since anode is negatively charged. Is this possible?

Can an electron have a high potential energy at an anode which is technically a "low potential" electrode. Confusing I know but if I'm making sense to anyone, I would appreciate clarification.

Members don't see this ad.

I just thought of a question. Could I answer this question? In a galvanic cell, the anode is negatively charged while cathode is positively charged.

This makes cathode at a higher potential than anode since protons go from high to low potential. Is this all there is to it because technically, an electron has a high potential energy at an anode since anode is negatively charged. Is this possible?

Can an electron have a high potential energy at an anode which is technically a "low potential" electrode. Confusing I know but if I'm making sense to anyone, I would appreciate clarification.

First of all, protons don't actually move in a circuit. It is through the movement of electrons that current is produced. Because physicists like to stick to conventions, we say that current is defined as the movement of positive charge, from positive to negative, but in reality, it is the electrons that are moving.

Second, I'm having a hard time following your post, so I'll just say this: Oxidation occurs at the anode, reduction occurs at the cathode. This means that electrons leave the anode and flow to the cathode. If that didn't clarify anything for you, then I'm sorry but your post needs further clarification before I can help you out. Hopefully someone can help you if not. Good luck!

Okay so you're going to get yourself twisted into knots here.

Students constantly get confused b/c they try to understand why the anode is the negative electrode in a galvanic cell, but positive in an electrolytic cell. And then they start coming up with all of these theories about what's going on with electrons, or protons, or whatever inside the electrode itself, and so on.

My approach to dealing with this (because I'll admit to hating electrochemistry as much as my students) is: okay just section off a part of your mind. Remember the mnemonic GAIN = galvanic anode is negative.

Okay now set that aside. Everything else you need to know, the important stuff all hooks together:

Current always flows from cathode to anode

Electrons always flow from anode to cathode (remember electrons flow the opposite of current).

Electrons flow to the cathode because reduction is taking place there. Reduction requires electrons, so the electrons need to flow there.

Cations migrate to the cathode, because going cation ==> solid metal atom involves the gain of electrons, which is a reduction reaction, and by definition reduction takes place at the cathode.

and so on.

You can link the ideas about how electrochemical cells work together pretty easily just based on the definitions of the terms and an very basic level understanding about what's going on each chamber.

Now, your specific question about potential: current, by definition, always flows from areas of high potential to low potential. So the cathode is higher potential than the anode because current flows from the cathode to the anode.

Hope at least some of this makes sense! :p

Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Why were all of my "I" changed to "me". Must have been an iphone autocorrect failure.

So I got this question because of an EK 1001 question:

"An electron has a higher potential energy when it is at which electrode in a galvanic cell:

Answer: The anode because electrons flow toward the cathode"

Okay, so an electron has a higher potential energy at the anode. However, anode is at a "lower potential" than the cathode. I guess these are different concepts and I'm getting terminology confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why were all of my "I" changed to "me". Must have been an iphone autocorrect failure.

So I got this question because of an EK 1001 question:

"An electron has a higher potential energy when it is at which electrode in a galvanic cell:

Answer: The anode because electrons flow toward the cathode"

Okay, so an electron has a higher potential energy at the anode. However, anode is at a "lower potential" than the cathode. I guess these are different concepts and I'm getting terminology confused.

Your confusing the terms electric potential (i.e. Voltage) and potential energy.

The electric potential runs from the positive end to the negative end, which are the cathode (+) and the anode (-) in a galvanic cell, so an anode is at a lower electric potential that the cathode in a galvanic cell.

The electrons flow opposite to the current (i.e. opposite the electric potential), so since the anode is the source of the electrons, the anode has higher potential energy.

I know the two terms sound similar but they are different. The whole +/- convention when determining current can be confusing due to the the fact that the destinations were picked prior to understanding the charge and movement of the electrons among other things.

Okay so you're going to get yourself twisted into knots here.

Hello,

I have been confusing myself with this aspect also I dont understand that if reduction always takes place at the cathode and oxidation at anode then when the electrons are flowing the opposite way then how does this stay true.
Thanks!

Students constantly get confused b/c they try to understand why the anode is the negative electrode in a galvanic cell, but positive in an electrolytic cell. And then they start coming up with all of these theories about what's going on with electrons, or protons, or whatever inside the electrode itself, and so on.

My approach to dealing with this (because I'll admit to hating electrochemistry as much as my students) is: okay just section off a part of your mind. Remember the mnemonic GAIN = galvanic anode is negative.

Okay now set that aside. Everything else you need to know, the important stuff all hooks together:

Current always flows from cathode to anode

Electrons always flow from anode to cathode (remember electrons flow the opposite of current).

Electrons flow to the cathode because reduction is taking place there. Reduction requires electrons, so the electrons need to flow there.

Cations migrate to the cathode, because going cation ==> solid metal atom involves the gain of electrons, which is a reduction reaction, and by definition reduction takes place at the cathode.

and so on.

You can link the ideas about how electrochemical cells work together pretty easily just based on the definitions of the terms and an very basic level understanding about what's going on each chamber.

Now, your specific question about potential: current, by definition, always flows from areas of high potential to low potential. So the cathode is higher potential than the anode because current flows from the cathode to the anode.

Hope at least some of this makes sense! :p

Good luck :)