What IM elective would prepare me best for the IM shelf exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beards And Bagels

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m currently in the process of selecting my rotation sites. For IM, we have 4 weeks of general and 4 weeks of a sub-specialty before we take the shelf.

Does it matter what I do for the elective, in terms of what would better prepare me for the shelf exam? I was leaning towards GI, Nephro, or Infectious Disease. All the preceptors are solid, so would any of these be better over the others?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I’m currently in the process of selecting my rotation sites. For IM, we have 4 weeks of general and 4 weeks of a sub-specialty before we take the shelf.

Does it matter what I do for the elective, in terms of what would better prepare me for the shelf exam? I was leaning towards GI, Nephro, or Infectious Disease. All the preceptors are solid, so would any of these be better over the others?

Are you able to do a hospitalist rotation ?

Doing well on shelf exams is not a measure of learning/doing well on a rotation in real life. So, being cheeky (but also totally honest) the best elective to do well on the shelf exam is one that affords you the most free time to do UWorld.

Reactions: 6 users
Are you able to do a hospitalist rotation ?
Our 4 weeks of general are wards based in the hospital!

Doing well on shelf exams is not a measure of learning/doing well on a rotation in real life. So, being cheeky (but also totally honest) the best elective to do well on the shelf exam is one that affords you the most free time to do UWorld.
Thank you! This is what I kind of figured, but I wasn’t sure. I’ll try to find a balance between my speciality interests and free time.