What is a BS in molecular and micro like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albodent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i am enrolled in bio 2 this semester and it is the worst class in the world. On top of that, the teacher i have is making it impossible to get an A. First day he told us that the labs practicals were not made to be passed and the tests are on 7-8 chapters in detail from little pictures and graphs from the text. I do not mind not having a life this semester because of this class, but the material is so boring that i have to read it 3-4 times to get it, and crazy memorizing as well. Is a BS in microbiology and molecular similar to this uninteresting class? Or is it more than just plants and clades? thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

albodent said:
Hello, i am enrolled in bio 2 this semester and it is the worst class in the world. On top of that, the teacher i have is making it impossible to get an A. First day he told us that the labs practicals were not made to be passed and the tests are on 7-8 chapters in detail from little pictures and graphs from the text. I do not mind not having a life this semester because of this class, but the material is so boring that i have to read it 3-4 times to get it, and crazy memorizing as well. Is a BS in microbiology and molecular similar to this uninteresting class? Or is it more than just plants and clades? thanx.

I was microbio, and I hated plants. You just have to find something that interests you. Honestly, all basic bio classes are dull. Once you get into the upper levels you'll actually understand why it can be interesting. I'm a big fan of books like the hot zone and all those other slightly nerdy stories about biological outbreaks. If you're into that stuff, Microbio would be a good way to go. Lots of cool things to learn. Not really sure if molecular gets interesting, but if you like organic and are really comfortable with chemistry it should be fine. Good luck.

I got my BS and MS in Micro, I loved it. Def. loved it more than regular bio, main reason was cuz I didn't want to learn about the plant stuff. It was just not that interesting to me. I love the molecular bio stuff. I think micro is great cause microbes are fascinating, so small, so powerful. I TA'd molecular and cellular bio for 2 semesters, thought it was a great class too. In the end, do what you like, and what you'll do good in. Maybe look at the classes websites, schedules, textbooks, to see what the class is actually about before you take it.