What is a good indicator that you will do well in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You said "doing well in medical school". For me, there is a HUGE difference between "doing well" in medical school (which gives you more options even in "noncompetitive" specialties), and just "passing" medical school. I would say even just passing in med school takes more work (compared to undergrad). It's not at all easy to be in highest segment of your class on your Dean's letter and that is hard. There will be a miniscule minority that this comes easily to them, however.

Doing well is obviously a subjective term. When I say it, I mean that you are #1 learning what you need to, #2 Not closing off doors for the future. And yes, that is not difficult to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Clinical years: Being an obnoxious ass kisser without coming across as an obnoxious ass kisser. It's a fine balance. Also, not drawing the total vindictive weirdo as the one doing your evaluation. Getting a bad eval in residency gets shrugged off. In med school it goes on your dean's letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical years: Being an obnoxious ass kisser without coming across as an obnoxious ass kisser. It's a fine balance. Also, not drawing the total vindictive weirdo as the one doing your evaluation. Getting a bad eval in residency gets shrugged off. In med school it goes on your dean's letter.
So true. It's nearly impossible to get comments from those types removed from the Dean's letter. A lot of clinical clerkships is proper social grace and being a chameleon of sorts, considering medical students don't do actual things of substance on rotations due to malpractice concerns.

Only can give insight into first year, but being able to do well seems to be a mix of how quickly you can learn (a good portion of this is having effective studying methods - not having to pull all-nighters/studying 24/7 to learn things) as well as having a good discipline to keep on putting in effort when you don't have all the time to slack off/recharge like you did in undergrad.

Doing well on the MCAT and having a good GPA.
Showing evidence of good choice making and being good at dealing with stress and having coping skills.

I don't think that GPA and MCAT are that good indicators, because people generally binge 3 month studies for mcats and sometimes take easier professors. However, my logic could be totally wrong.

What are good indicators that undergrad students will be able to survive med school and perform at a decent level? (if there are any indicators)
Do 98%+ med students graduate med school within 4 years? If you can get through undergrad well, does that have any impact on whether or not you can make it through med school in one piece?