Dental What is a letter of interest and should I send one? If so how do I send one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I am currently in the application process still waiting to hear back from some schools. I was suggested to send a letter of interest but didn't want to make an uninformed decision since I don't know too much about it. If I am hoping to display my genuine interest for a school to hopefully get an interview, would it be a good idea to send a letter of interest to the admissions office? If so, what are some things I should include in my letter?

Also, do I

1.) Email it directly to the admissions office?

or

2.)Email an attached pdf of the letter?

or

3.) Print out the letter and send via postal service, or something else maybe??

Thanks in advance!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your question, a letter of interest is exactly that--a letter expressing that you're interested in a school. Many experts would argue that the vast majority of letters of interest are useless, because you already told a school that you're "interested" by the fact that you applied in the first place. So if you're going to send such a letter, it's really important that you include information about how you would fit particularly well at that specific school, and how aspects of the school would help you achieve your career goals. And keep it brief. Even then... I'm personally not a believer that these letters really move the needle all that much and are more a mechanism to allow people to feel like they "did everything they could."

Any of the delivery methods you mention would be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.