What is a method to self test a n95 mask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all of the shortages, I know several people turning to ebay to buy their own - obviously most of the ones out there are Chinese made kn95 (their version of n95) - is there any self test that anyone knows to see if these masks actually work? I ordered some for my team - as our option is this or a surgical mask - but want to test to see if the KN95's are better or not

Members don't see this ad.

I saw one video to test surigcal masks that you turn inside out and see if you can blow out a lighter - might be a decent test, but not sure it will define particulate size

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you put your fingers in your ears and then cross your eyes... you're good.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
With all of the shortages, I know several people turning to ebay to buy their own - obviously most of the ones out there are Chinese made kn95 (their version of n95) - is there any self test that anyone knows to see if these masks actually work? I ordered some for my team - as our option is this or a surgical mask - but want to test to see if the KN95's are better or not
'...questions about the quality and effectiveness of the similarly named KN95 mask arose as production ramped up in China. The masks were not listed in the initial FDA emergency use authorization because of challenges in determining the authenticity of the imports, said an agency spokesperson, who added that the FDA has already encountered fraudulent products identified as KN95s."

Source: FDA changes course and allows China's KN95 mask to be used in US

Last edited:

Forget them. I used to think i was protecting myself. Wore a N95 and a surgical mask as well as a face shield to almost every patient room. I thought my seal was decent, but had my fit testing done today. Miserably failed. Now I'm switched to the reusable respirators, I'm using the 3M 7502 with p100 cartridges. Killed it at the fit test with amazing scores, the mask is truly meant to be reusable, and is a lot more comfortable on the face.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If you’re using a respirator you can use the negative and positive pressure tests to assess fit on the fly.

only way to assess filtration efficiency is with an NaCl Aerosol test which your hospital should be able to do but as others have said may not be willing to for legal reasons.
I suggest trying to sweet talk the employee health people to let them do the NaCl test on your self-provided mask off the books.

Because the N95 relies on charge rather than pore-size to filter our virus, any of the airflow based tests, like blowing out a candle, won’t work.

I saw a video where a doc and his wife created a duck bill type mask from a vacuum cleaner bag, then he tried wearing it while cooking bacon and couldn't smell the bacon. He considered that a successful test.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if you dissolve a little bit of salt, sugar, and other aromatics in water and then nebulize the resulting solution. If you can smell it through your mask, you are probably wearing a failed device.

Smells=/= particulate.
You can still smell farts through an N95. You can still smell dog through a vacuum bag.

However, absence of smell can mean organic vapor smell limiting. Usually from a charcoal additive to the filter (you can get it on industrial filters).
I suppose you can make the argument that vapors are smaller than particles, so the mask probably works. It's just not a scientific study.

Smells=/= particulate.
You can still smell farts through an N95. You can still smell dog through a vacuum bag.

However, absence of smell can mean organic vapor smell limiting. Usually from a charcoal additive to the filter (you can get it on industrial filters).
I suppose you can make the argument that vapors are smaller than particles, so the mask probably works. It's just not a scientific study.

I'm not sure this is quite right. I agree that smells do not equal particulates. Indeed you can still smell many odors with a N95 or greater mask on.

That being said to block organic vapors and particulates are not the same.

If you can block organic vapors that it usually due to a CARTRIDGE, which contains a compound such as charcoal that absorbs them. This cartridge does NOT block particulates.

Conversely, a FILTER can block particulates but cannot absorb or block organic vapors or acid gases.

With regards to the SARS CoV 2 virus, the ability to absorb and block organic vapors and acid gases is fairly immaterial, the question is can the virus (which is a particle) be filtered.

Many of the commercial respirators are designed for various industrial applications where blocking acid gases, organic vapours, etc. is an important priority. With COVID 19 the only question is can it block viral particles (particulates).

There are many combination products that do both, but the only thing that maters to us is the filtration. A cartridge with no filters is not helpful, filters with no cartridge may be adequate.

This guide from 3M is helpful:

When buying products look for the filtration designation N, R, or P 95, 99, 100. The "Color" code in the US for 100% filtration is "magenta" (although sometimes it is actually bright pink). If you get a combination device that has a cartridge with a pink cap, that usually means its p100. The cartridge has other color codes (black, yellow, green, etc.) that denote blocking various industrial hazards, but again, these are irrelevant for us in the hospital. The main distinction that matters is the "number," which determines the percentage of particulates blocked, the international standard for protection from aerosolized pathogens is 95 or greater. The "letter" refers to the filters resistance to oil (N- non resistant, R-resistant, P-proof). Resistance to oil is also not relevant in the hospital environment where we do not encounter oil-based particulates. So for our purposes, N,R, and P are all equivalent.

Your hospital may be unwilling to fit-test a product not officially approved and supplied by the hospital, but if they do an adequate device should pass the fit test (the "odor" they use is a particle not a gaseous vapour). If your device blocks other odors (pus, poop smell, whatever) it may be because the cartridge has other benefits, but that doesn't inform the devices efficacy to block viral particles.

Lastly all this is based on the NIOSH standards in the United States. There are equivalent standards in European Union (FFP designation) and China (KN designation). I am not knowledgeable of these systems, but I believe there are tables where you can look up equivalences with NIOSH standards.

Reactions: 1 user
I've developed the "Mat's mask test," which has been proven to test masks to the fullest for airborne dz prevention:

1. Put your mask on, and close your eyes
2. I rip ass in front of you
3. If you don't gag, mask works

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users