what is a nontraditional app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all.

I'm trying to decipher if I would fall under a non-traditional applicant. So, what is deemed a non-trad app?

thank you for your time and help.

also, is it too late to start studying for the aug mcat and work full time? am i crazy to think that i can apply to med school this year?

Members don't see this ad.

penguinboy said:
Hey y'all.

I'm trying to decipher if I would fall under a non-traditional applicant. So, what is deemed a non-trad app?

thank you for your time and help.

also, is it too late to start studying for the aug mcat and work full time? am i crazy to think that i can apply to med school this year?

Hi there,
A non-traditional applicant is anyone who has worked after completing their undergraduate degree or who has pursued a graduate degree/post bacc before medical school. Other definitions of non-traditional applicants are folks who have had other careers before applying to medical school. In general, non-traditional applicants are older but not always, than the traditional applicant who applied to medical school during their junior year of undergrad.

You do not want to take the August MCAT unless you are thoroughly prepared for this exam. This means taking plenty of practice tests in addition to having a solid knowledge base. You should also know that if you take the August MCAT, your application will not be complete until around Octobe 15th. If you need the advantage of early application, then taking the August MCAT will be a distinct disadvantage. If you are a very strong applicant, taking the August MCAT will not make that much of a difference unless you bomb the test.

Figure out how you can present the strongest and most competitive application that you can and get the job done. If this means waiting a year, then do so but if you can get everything together and get your MCAT prep taken care of, then you will be fine applying this year. By this point, if you are applying for this year, the you should have already requested your transcripts (financial aid and academic) and gotten your CV and personal statement written so you can get your AMCAS application done.

Good luck
njbmd :)