What is a target school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaim10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When looking at a school's GPA and MCAT stats, what is a target vs reach?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry for being nitpicky but because your question involves analyzing numbers, then you should know that a 510 = 83rd% = exactly a 31.

Anyway, yeah a target school is where you numbers are as close to the schools median. But obviously it is a range: a target school for you could be a school with a 3.6/32 or a 3.8/30, etc.

Also, stats are important, but mission and fit matter tremendously too. Not every school in your stat range is target.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for being nitpicky but because your question involves analyzing numbers, then you should know that a 510 = 83rd% = exactly a 31.

Anyway, yeah a target school is where you numbers are as close to the schools median. But obviously it is a range: a target school for you could be a school with a 3.6/32 or a 3.8/30, etc.

Also, stats are important, but mission and fit matter tremendously too. Not every school in your stat range is target.
Okay that makes sense. So a 3.8 wouldn't be too high for a school to be a target if the school has a slightly lower MCAT than me basically? I guess it's all just a balancing act.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay that makes sense. So a 3.8 wouldn't be too high for a school to be a target if the school has a slightly lower MCAT than me basically? I guess it's all just a balancing act.

Not even a balancing act. A 3.8/31 could be too. Even a 3.8/32. Just make sure your numbers aren't close to the bottom 10th%

The vast majority of MD schools (i.e. those outside the top 40 or so) will be target schools for you (look for schools where the LizzyM score is 68 +/- 2). The LizzyM score, if you don't know, is GPA*10+(old)MCAT, so for you it is 3.7*10+31 = 68. Unfortunately, there really won't be any schools that are "safeties" for you. Reaches, in general, will be schools with a median MCAT over 33 or median GPA over 3.8.

The vast majority of MD schools (i.e. those outside the top 40 or so) will be target schools for you (look for schools where the LizzyM score is 68 +/- 2). The LizzyM score, if you don't know, is GPA*10+(old)MCAT, so for you it is 3.7*10+31 = 68. Unfortunately, there really won't be any schools that are "safeties" for you. Reaches, in general, will be schools with a median MCAT over 33 or median GPA over 3.8.
This is helpful- thanks!

As you probably know, this process has a lot of elasticity.