What is an academic EM program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seldomseen

Back of nowhere.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Sometimes I have difficulty understanding what an academic EM program is. Certain programs I would say are academic (i.e. USCD, Cinci, etc.), while others are not (Resurrection, Allegheny, etc.), but a number of programs i have difficulty classifying.

So, what makes an EM program academic?

1) Is it any EM program (hospital) that is connected with a major research University?

2) Is it specific training (focus) given to the residents--More didatic teaching vs. hands-on experience; training that focuses mostly on being a community EM doc, or a focus also on teaching/research/administration?

3) Is it the amount of emphasis (restricted time) given to Attendings/residents for research, and number of publications per year?

4). All of the above, or something else i'm missing?

thanks,

seldom

Members don't see this ad.

Allow me to be the first to say F_____ Mc________s. Just because I can.

And for the poster, yes this has been brought up before, in much better answers than I can say.

As told to me by a PD: an academic EM center is soley based on the amount of research dollars the department has, with or without affiliaton with a medical school.