What is an URM, and how do I know if I am one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'History' being the key word. Not that there aren't racists in all subpopulations, but racism is much more acceptible in minority populations today and in favor of minority populations by the government and schools today.

rac·ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

you think minorities believe themselves superior and has the right to rule or even just hates whites. Last time I checked, the majority of power positions are taken by whites, and out of all the people running for president, only one is a minority. Or, you think minorities hate whites, I'm not sure where you are getting this, please provide examples of that.

I guess Teach for America got it wrong because according to you, the government and schools are helping minorities sooo much and favoring them soo much that African-American and Latino kids today (not 10-30 years ago, but presently) AREN'T three times more likely to be growing up in poverty and given less than equal opportunities to succeed in school and actually the rate of graduating high school is higher than whites graduating high school. if that is the case, I wonder why minorities are not more representative in college? the government and schools are so encouraging that they cut federal funding (loans/grants) because they are favoring minorities since they are the ones that can afford to send their kids to college and it's the white kids who are suffering because they are the ones who do not make it out of high school and want to go to college but don't have the money to attend. So, you are calling minorities racist because despite all that the government and schools (who are in extremely large majority whites) are doing to help out minorities, we hate whites or believe ourselves superior to whites and want to rule over them. Okay, I guess you'll have your opinion and i'll keep mine.

Members don't see this ad.

This is the original topic and now this thread is offtopic. Please stick to the original discussion or feel free to start your own thread elsewhere.

i'm sorry about that, but I had kinda touched upon the OP earlier. i think it would be nice to, considering my views earlier but I'm not sure what's the point of it? people would try to claim there's some sort of quota going on if you do ask for a breakdown etc.

rac·ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

you think minorities believe themselves superior and has the right to rule or even just hates whites. Last time I checked, the majority of power positions are taken by whites, and out of all the people running for president, only one is a minority. Or, you think minorities hate whites, I'm not sure where you are getting this, please provide examples of that.

I guess Teach for America got it wrong because according to you, the government and schools are helping minorities sooo much and favoring them soo much that African-American and Latino kids today (not 10-30 years ago, but presently) AREN'T three times more likely to be growing up in poverty and given less than equal opportunities to succeed in school and actually the rate of graduating high school is higher than whites graduating high school. if that is the case, I wonder why minorities are not more representative in college? the government and schools are so encouraging that they cut federal funding (loans/grants) because they are favoring minorities since they are the ones that can afford to send their kids to college and it's the white kids who are suffering because they are the ones who do not make it out of high school and want to go to college but don't have the money to attend. So, you are calling minorities racist because despite all that the government and schools (who are in extremely large majority whites) are doing to help out minorities, we hate whites or believe ourselves superior to whites and want to rule over them. Okay, I guess you'll have your opinion and i'll keep mine.

I do think that a far larger percentage of black people hate white people than the precentage of white people who hate black people. Just based on my own experience and observation. I'm not saying that all black people are racist or that no white people are racist. Both statements are obviously false. I'm talking percentages. I think black people can say blatantly racist things and no one calls them on it, while white people cannot. You only have to read presidential statements and court decisions to see that the government approves of racist decision making in hiring for employment or in school admissions, but only when racist in favor of minorities.

Websters:
rac·ism -2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
dis·crim·i·na·tion -3 a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually

Preference is given to a group based on category (racial minority) rather than to individuals and this is racist by definition.

To get back to the original discussion, the OP brings up a valid point- Not all Asians are over-represented. There is no monolithic group of Asians that are well represented. Some groups of Asians are well represented while others are not. I joined this discussion to point out that some groups of white people are well represented while others are not. The issue is that racist decision making by addmissions board gives preference to black people over everyone else whether that Asian or white is part of a well represented or under-represented group.

As I said above, it is wrong to discriminate against anyone and groups should be over or under-represented based on the quality of the applicant pool. If Hungarians and Mongolians make up a large portion of the best applicants, they should make up an identically large percentage in enrollment. The quote by the OP says that various groups of AAPIs should be separated out. The goal here would be to discriminate against some and discriminate in favor of others. To me this would obviously be wrong and would be a step in the wrong direction. Rather than dividing us further and making an even more complicated quota system than the de facto, racist quota system operating now, we should move away from any consideration of race and let the best applicant get each spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do think that a far larger percentage of black people hate white people than the precentage of white people who hate black people. Just based on my own experience and observation. I'm not saying that all black people are racist or that no white people are racist. Both statements are obviously false. I'm talking percentages. I think black people can say blatantly racist things and no one calls them on it, while white people cannot. You only have to read presidential statements and court decisions to see that the government approves of racist decision making in hiring for employment or in school admissions, but only when racist in favor of minorities.

Websters:
rac·ism -2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
dis·crim·i·na·tion -3 a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually

Preference is given to a group based on category (racial minority) rather than to individuals and this is racist by definition.

To get back to the original discussion, the OP brings up a valid point- Not all Asians are over-represented. There is no monolithic group of Asians that are well represented. Some groups of Asians are well represented while others are not. I joined this discussion to point out that some groups of white people are well represented while others are not. The issue is that racist decision making by addmissions board gives preference to black people over everyone else whether that Asian or white is part of a well represented or under-represented group.

As I said above, it is wrong to discriminate against anyone and groups should be over or under-represented based on the quality of the applicant pool. If Hungarians and Mongolians make up a large portion of the best applicants, they should make up an identically large percentage in enrollment. The quote by the OP says that various groups of AAPIs should be separated out. The goal here would be to discriminate against some and discriminate in favor of others. To me this would obviously be wrong and would be a step in the wrong direction. Rather than dividing us further and making an even more complicated quota system than the de facto, racist quota system operating now, we should move away from any consideration of race and let the best applicant get each spot.

base on what you are saying...we should not take anything that could have an impact on why a student is performing lower...not socioeconomic disadvantages, not disabilities, and just accepted the best applicant. From what you are saying, a student who has a learning disability and has a hard time performing well let's say in school should not get to be accepted if there is another student out there who does better in school (given all else equal) because the student who doesn't have the learning disability is obviously the best since s/he has the better grades. And although I'm quite not sure what your definition of best applicant is, I'm pretty sure your definition relies heavily on test scores and grades (tangible stuff). I thought there are many intangles associated medical school application process, from LORs, Essays, to Interviews, and want to believe it or not, every school weighs things differently, but you can betcha that they are probably as heavily weighed as test scores and grades. If a school wants, they probably could fill an entire class of 3.85+ GPAs and 37+ MCAT if they wanted. And that, as i'm surmising from your comments, is what you want since you would probably consider them the best applicants over someone who only has a 3.6 GPA and 32 MCAT?

oh yes, as to the government again, well, it's been a while since I took a psych and law class....but last time I checked (and I can probably provide a laundry list) if a black person and white person are convicted of the similar crimes, more often than not, the black person recieves the worser punishment. hows that for racism? And unlike you, i'm not using my own observations to back up my reasoning for why I don't think minorities are more racist, i'm using facts. But if you want my observation, in my experience, the atmosphere of a white dominant neighborhood is more likely to change when a minority family moves in than vice versa. In fact, when more and more minorities enter a neighborhood, the white families actually tend to move out...why is that? If that's not being racist, I don't know what is, since according to your definition, that's definitely categorial discrimination, not individual. Go ahead and look at metro cities like Dallas where minorities are slowly moving in to the suburbs, and instead of intermingling, many white families are choosing to move farther away. It is not like minorities are creating picket fences and driving out the white families, so in my opinion, either those families who choose to move away have a superiority complex or hate minorities.

sorry again for off-topic

I didn't state any preference as to what goes in to admissions decisions. I'm just saying that whatever non-discriminatory characteristics a school chooses to consider should be applied evenly to all groups. Blacks don't get into schools because their essays and interviews are so much better that they balance out the worse grades and test scores. They get in because of racist discrimination. The OP wants the sub-groups of Asians to be considered separately, I assume in order to give racist preferential treatment to some of those groups, presumably including his own group. I don't think there is any justification for this. If anyone can argue meaningfully in favor of discrimination, or can interpret the original post differently, then I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear about it.

PS to Q: Harsher sentencing may be due to differences in prior convictions. White people in Dallas suburbs moving further away may be due to rising crime rates and worsening schools rather than an attempt to move away from black people per se. In any case, harsher sentencing of blacks is not legal while discrimination in favor of blacks in hiring and admissions is legal according to the court (though not according to the constitution).

I didn't state any preference as to what goes in to admissions decisions. I'm just saying that whatever non-discriminatory characteristics a school chooses to consider should be applied evenly to all groups. Blacks don't get into schools because their essays and interviews are so much better that they balance out the worse grades and test scores. They get in because of racist discrimination. The OP wants the sub-groups of Asians to be considered separately, I assume in order to give racist preferential treatment to some of those groups, presumably including his own group. I don't think there is any justification for this. If anyone can argue meaningfully in favor of discrimination, or can interpret the original post differently, then I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear about it.

PS to Q: Harsher sentencing may be due to differences in prior convictions. White people in Dallas suburbs moving further away may be due to rising crime rates and worsening schools rather than an attempt to move away from black people per se. In any case, harsher sentencing of blacks is not legal while discrimination in favor of blacks in hiring and admissions is legal according to the court (though not according to the constitution).

None of the nonesense you have been spreading is true, nor makes any sense. if you were to check your facts Blacks get worse sentences than whites with the same crimminal backgrouds (be it none or many prior convictions). For you to state that that anything favors Blacks lets me know that you are simply out of touch. Why do people assume that blacks entering a neighborhood will increase the crime and deteriorate the schools? But truth of the matter is many people in predominantly white neighborhoods do move out when Blacks or Hispanics move in. This country is still racist to its core when a neighborhood can exist that out right restricts Blacks or Hispanics moving in. If you do your research (which I am sure the results would be jaded by your own appearant innate racism) you would find that It is the minority Dr. who is more likely to practice in the underserved community (be it black, rural or otherwise) It is a trip when people get upset that Blacks go from being 3% to 4% of the entering med school class. Things have been unfair and racist against Blacks and Hispanics for so long in this country. It is about time that white America balances things out. Oh but doing that might impinge upon someones white priviledge, we would not want that now would we.

None of the nonesense you have been spreading is true, nor makes any sense. if you were to check your facts Blacks get worse sentences than whites with the same crimminal backgrouds (be it none or many prior convictions). For you to state that that anything favors Blacks lets me know that you are simply out of touch. Why do people assume that blacks entering a neighborhood will increase the crime and deteriorate the schools? But truth of the matter is many people in predominantly white neighborhoods do move out when Blacks or Hispanics move in. This country is still racist to its core when a neighborhood can exist that out right restricts Blacks or Hispanics moving in. If you do your research (which I am sure the results would be jaded by your own appearant innate racism) you would find that It is the minority Dr. who is more likely to practice in the underserved community (be it black, rural or otherwise) It is a trip when people get upset that Blacks go from being 3% to 4% of the entering med school class. Things have been unfair and racist against Blacks and Hispanics for so long in this country. It is about time that white America balances things out. Oh but doing that might impinge upon someones white priviledge, we would not want that now would we.

There is no such thing as white priviledge. There are some who are priviledged and others who are not. in fact, there are more poor white people than there are poor black people in this country. That is something you chose to ignore to support continued racism in your favor.

If you do your research (which I am sure the results would be jaded by your own appearant innate racism)

It is really insane that you can't say everyone should be treated exactly the same without being called racist. Do you even know what racist means? My arguments have all been against racism!

This thread is completely off topic and the original question has been answered so its being closed. Please continue this current dicussion elsewhere. Thank you :).

Status
Not open for further replies.