What is considered Late application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDNewbie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma of whether or not I should apply this cycle or not. I have a 23 DAT and 3.5 oGPA, 3.48 sGPA..... One letter of rec for sure from research, another from a dentist I have shadowed under for 1 yr+ and no one in mind for the third letter of rec. I haven't written my personal statement nor asked said professor/dentist for a LoR yet.

Is it too late to apply?

I'm thinking if I do ask for LoR and find the last prof for a LoR + write my personal statement, I'd most likely submit my app by mid October (10.23 or so).

pm or comment is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You would definitely be considered late, and you'd be at a disadvantage in terms of admission. That doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't get a post-December acceptance, but it certainly makes it more difficult.

You'd be at a severe disadvantage as some schools have already filled up their pre-dec interview slots. But your chances of getting in would depend on your strength as a writer and what other items you can list in your application (publications, awards, EC, etc.) If you're asking if it's too late to have more than a 0% chance at getting in then it's not. If you're asking if it's too late to get a December acceptance or pre-Dec interview, then yes. Say you submit 10/23, that means it'll take until 11/23+ for your gpa to get verified (maybe sooner or later I'm not too sure at this point). This is also assuming all your LORs are in by this time and there are no complications (all your transcripts are received before 10/23). This would mean by the time some schools see your app, a good number of seats would have already been taken. Depending on the strength of your app though, post-December interviews are certainly possible. You'd just be competing for fewer seats.