What is Halstedian principles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watermen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone kindly explain to me what is Halstedian principles all about? I tried to google it, but can find anything useful. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

(1) the gentle handling of tissues; (2) the aseptic technic; (3) sharp anatomic dissection of tissues; (4) meticulous hemostasis, using fine, non-irritating suture material in minimal amounts; (5) the obliteration of dead space in the wound; (6) avoidance of tension; and (7) the importance of rest. These tenets are the basis of modern surgical craftsmanship.

These are known as Halsted's principles of surgery.

(1) the gentle handling of tissues; (2) the aseptic technic; (3) sharp anatomic dissection of tissues; (4) meticulous hemostasis, using fine, non-irritating suture material in minimal amounts; (5) the obliteration of dead space in the wound; (6) avoidance of tension; and (7) the importance of rest. These tenets are the basis of modern surgical craftsmanship.

These are known as Halsted's principles of surgery.

(8) Cocaine is a hell of a drug. (jk)

He also created the concept of the "House Officer" (which I think he kind of stole from the Germans if I remember correct), and is the father of modern residency......not a big believer in the 80 hour work week, though......

Members don't see this ad :)
"Morphine" would have made the joke funnier--though incredibly irreverent.;)

I'm not sure I understand why that would have been funnier.

Halsted was a big time coke addict way before he fell in love with morphine.

I concede that logical progression makes the cocaine reference a better fit. I was just thinking that the morphine was what made his behavior shockingly unlike that of a well respected surgeon--the sort of "funny" chairman of a department of surgery--the character that neophytes chuckle at when reading a historical account. So, in that regard I was suggesting that a morphine reference would have fired up those areas of association cortex storing known information on Halsted (which may themselves evoke cheerfulness), thus contributing to a more pronounced experience of hilarity for the reader.

But if the cocaine use coincided with the peak of his technical accomplishments, it does provide for a smoother transition from 7 to 8.

This conversation really is making me feel uncomfortably irreverent.

Please specify who the quote came from : )

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Thats Rick James, B****.

-Mike

He apparently got hooked on morphine as a way to detox from the coke. Friends of his intervened when the coke habit got out of control, arranged for him to go on a cruise and provided him morphine as a "reasonable alternative" to the coke.

He apparently got hooked on morphine as a way to detox from the coke...
So he was the "index case" in the development of methadone treatment....interesting. He has obviously had a career that impacts accross all socio-economic lines:smuggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently heard James Cameron speak on Dr. Halstead- and thought I could clarify. Halstead, when a medical student at Columbia, along with several med student colleagues were actually researching with cocaine as an anesthetic. Several of his colleagues actually died in the process. Halstead and one other survived, but yes, transitioned to morphine to wean his addiction. Although Halstead's physician had originally reported that he was completely weaned of his addiction, it is now believed that he was in fact still using it up until his death. I found this a very sobering account of addiction.