What Is Hes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wooderson14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input i got. I know im capable of scoring a 30 on the MCAT but im not sure what this HES program is. Is it the Harvard extension program? and if it is, ive looked into it and i dont think a 2.7 gpa would be an adequate enough score to gain acceptance.
wooderson

Members don't see this ad.

Wooderson14 said:
Thanks for all the input i got. I know im capable of scoring a 30 on the MCAT but im not sure what this HES program is. Is it the Harvard extension program? and if it is, ive looked into it and i dont think a 2.7 gpa would be an adequate enough score to gain acceptance.
wooderson

Yes. It's Harvard Extension School. I'm not sure what the requirements are for sponsorship stuff. But I believe the courses are open enrollment, so I think you can take stuff there regardless of whether you are officially in a program. You can probably jump onto the Harvard Extension thread and get a better answer.

Law2Doc said:
Yes. It's Harvard Extension School. I'm not sure what the requirements are for sponsorship stuff. But I believe the courses are open enrollment, so I think you can take stuff there regardless of whether you are officially in a program. You can probably jump onto the Harvard Extension thread and get a better answer.

Requirements are on the site:

http://extension.harvard.edu

Go to the Health Careers Program for details:

http://extension.harvard.edu/hcp/default.jsp

A 2.7 should be okay to get in - I think 2.5 is the unstated minimum. I can't remember the schedule of GPA/MCAT to get sponsored - but you'll probably be under a 3.0 which means you'll need a 28 so you're in the clear regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maxprime said:
Requirements are on the site:

http://extension.harvard.edu

Go to the Health Careers Program for details:

http://extension.harvard.edu/hcp/default.jsp

A 2.7 should be okay to get in - I think 2.5 is the unstated minimum. I can't remember the schedule of GPA/MCAT to get sponsored - but you'll probably be under a 3.0 which means you'll need a 28 so you're in the clear regardless.

What you linked to indicates a 30 MCAT minimum, not 28.

About a month ago I started looking into Post-Bac programs to apply to and I am getting ready to apply to several of them. A few days ago I came across talk of HES while reading these posts. I am not quite sure if I should also apply to HES or not?

My stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.45 studying Justice, Law, and Society
Science and Math (3 classes, none of which satisfy any pre-reqs): 3.5

I have no science or math background. I am taking the GRE next week and will probably score between 1170-1230. Am I best suited for a structed Post-Bac, or something like the HES.

I currently live in DC and would be willing to go to schools in DC, MD, NY, MA, PA, VA. Any suggestions? Anyone know anything about UVA Post-Bac?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ATrim7 said:
About a month ago I started looking into Post-Bac programs to apply to and I am getting ready to apply to several of them. A few days ago I came across talk of HES while reading these posts. I am not quite sure if I should also apply to HES or not?

My stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.45 studying Justice, Law, and Society
Science and Math (3 classes, none of which satisfy any pre-reqs): 3.5

I have no science or math background. I am taking the GRE next week and will probably score between 1170-1230. Am I best suited for a structed Post-Bac, or something like the HES.

I currently live in DC and would be willing to go to schools in DC, MD, NY, MA, PA, VA. Any suggestions? Anyone know anything about UVA Post-Bac?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

With your numbers I would think you would have a shot at getting into most of the formal postbacs -- Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Tufts, etc. That's what I would do in your position. Those schools tend to give the most oversight, advice and do a decent job herding and marketing their students to med programs. Some even have linkage -- not sure which ones, but which would be good. I haven't heard anything about UVA's postbac (which may mean something in and of itself). HES is not as formal, isn't as hands on with its students, but gets a decent percentage (unpublished) of its sponsored students into med school and is well regarded.

Law2Doc said:
What you linked to indicates a 30 MCAT minimum, not 28.

That is correct. There is no sliding scale of GPA vs. MCAT score to be sponsored. If you have previously taken any bio, chem, physics classes and earned less than a B in any of those classes, regardless of what your GPA is before entering the program, they will also require you to get a 30+ MCAT for sponsorship, even if you re-take those courses at HES.

Likewise, if you have never taken pre-req courses and your GPA is above 3.0, you need to earn no less than a B in X credits (note that if you're required to take 20 credits, you need to get at least a B in each class, which is different from maintaining a B average. 3B's and C won't cut it.) Otherwise, you will also need a 30+ MCAT for sponsorship, which is not free should you qualify.

Sundarban1 said:
That is correct. There is no sliding scale of GPA vs. MCAT score to be sponsored. If you have previously taken any bio, chem, physics classes and earned less than a B in any of those classes, regardless of what your GPA is before entering the program, they will also require you to get a 30+ MCAT for sponsorship, even if you re-take those courses at HES.

Likewise, if you have never taken pre-req courses and your GPA is above 3.0, you need to earn no less than a B in X credits (note that if you're required to take 20 credits, you need to get at least a B in each class, which is different from maintaining a B average. 3B's and C won't cut it.) Otherwise, you will also need a 30+ MCAT for sponsorship, which is not free should you qualify.

Wait a minute..they've never told me this before. I will be heading there this summer with a 3.2x overall gpa and a 3.4ish science gpa (none of the prerequisite sciences) which includes a C in math and a C in anatomy. Are you telling me I have to get 30+ for sponsorship even though my GPA is over the 3.2 level, nevermind 3.0.

letsrun4it said:
Wait a minute..they've never told me this before. I will be heading there this summer with a 3.2x overall gpa and a 3.4ish science gpa (none of the prerequisite sciences) which includes a C in math and a C in anatomy. Are you telling me I have to get 30+ for sponsorship even though my GPA is over the 3.2 level, nevermind 3.0.

Join the club. I had a C is zoology and when I received my acceptance letter they told me that although my GPA was over 3.2 I still had to get at 30+ to be sponsored because of the C in a "biology" class. They do not say this explicitly on the website, however this is their practice. You can call yourself and speak with Dr. Fixsen as he is the one who approves the applications.

Sundarban1 said:
Join the club. I had a C is zoology and when I received my acceptance letter they told me that although my GPA was over 3.2 I still had to get at 30+ to be sponsored because of the C in a "biology" class. They do not say this explicitly on the website, however this is their practice. You can call yourself and speak with Dr. Fixsen as he is the one who approves the applications.

Wow thats most upsetting. While it is likely that I will need to score 30+ to get into medical school with a 3.2 gpa before taking the sciences...it changes a lot. Suppose I can only manage a 28 or 29 on the MCAT with all the studying in the world, not getting the HCP sponsorship would render moving clear across the country totally useless as I could have taken the prerequsites near where I own a home and where my family lives. The expense of moving across the country is huge especially to a city like Boston. I will be calling them tomorrow just to make sure this is their policy for everyone (maybe they just really hate people who get Cs in Zoology)

Thanks

letsrun4it said:
Wow thats most upsetting. While it is likely that I will need to score 30+ to get into medical school with a 3.2 gpa before taking the sciences...it changes a lot. Suppose I can only manage a 28 or 29 on the MCAT with all the studying in the world, not getting the HCP sponsorship would render moving clear across the country totally useless as I could have taken the prerequsites near where I own a home and where my family lives. The expense of moving across the country is huge especially to a city like Boston. I will be calling them tomorrow just to make sure this is their policy for everyone (maybe they just really hate people who get Cs in Zoology)

Thanks

It is at their descretion to change the criteria, from what I was told. It would say in your acceptance letter what the conditions are for your situation.