What is late for secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thundrstorm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to some job and volunteer prospects that are up in the air, I find myself unable to answer the educational interruption essay for my secondaries. I simply don't know what I'll be doing this year after the summer is over... not yet anyway. Also, I'm broke. If I wait until late August... maybe early September, is that late to be sending in secondaries? I've asked a few people, but for MD/PhD specifically, I'm trying to get a clear answer. I'd rather send in a more complete and confidently written secondary if a month or so won't really make a difference in the process. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking back at my application timetable, and I sent in my secondaries anywhere from mid-august to early october, and I never had a problem with anything being late. The first wave of interview invites for me came in mid-October.

But if there's any form that doesn't ask about your plans, you might as well start sending those in, just to lessen the load later~

I have the same question too. Over at the pre-allopathic forum, people are saying that secondaries should be sent in 1~2 weeks after you receive them. Would that also be the case for us pre-MDPhD's?

I mean... most secondaries for MDPhDs have an additional essay that ask us to describe our research plans and career goals. Would it look like I'm not interested in those specific schools if I take about 3 weeks in submitting my secondaries?