What is special about PUCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjane92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could give me some details about what makes PUCO special. I looked on their site but it seems like the usual stuff most schools say and they don't really emphasize anything. For example, PCO is patient care, and NECO and SUNY have really good clinics, and SUNY also is big on research. Does anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

lol, i had this same question last year. I even went and interviewed there and then i kinda understood. A lot of what makes PUCO somewhat attractive to go to is that it is considered a solid school in an awesome location. They have great board scores, good rep, no scandals like some other schools and they are the only school in the northwest region. Honestly there is nothing special about the school, but there is nothing bad about it. Whereas other schools may have a few large strengths but also a few weaknesses. Let me know if you have any other questions

Pacific teaches broad, full scope Optometry. You will get more information about vision therapy/sports vision than you probably would at other schools. Many of the professors are top-notch, and you definitely won't get them at other schools.

No matter what school you attend, you will be an OD afterward. Much of your education will be up to you, and the effort you put into it. What you should be asking yourself is: Do I want to live in the northwest, and Can I afford it.

Reactions: 1 user
My boyfriend went to Pacific for his Pharm.D degree (graduated last year) and he really strongly recommends that i should consider PUCO for my optometry path. Given the fact that it is one of the oldest optometry school in the States, their optometry program and faculty are pretty much solid.
This is just my 2 cents. Every school has its own unique features and there are a lot of other contributed factors that we will have to consider which school will benefit us the most. To me, being accepted to ANY of 20 optometry schools in the US is good enough to make me cry happy tears :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user