What is the best way to prepare a sufficient MCAT study schedule/where to start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jg2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am entering my second semester of my junior year and am taking 13 credits, planning on taking the MCAT in May or June (have not scheduled it yet). I am taking biochem (which I am retaking from my first semester because I know I can get a better grade + I think it will better prepare me for test day), physics 2, cadaver lab, and my honors online junior seminar. I am also working 1-2 days a week from 6-11 pm and volunteering 1 day a week for three hours. My PI also will probably have me come into the lab around 4 hours per week. Safe to say I have a pretty hectic schedule, so I am not sure how to prepare a schedule for studying since a lot of similar threads I have read are written by people who have a bit less on their plates. Is it better to study a little less (2-3 hours) 5-6 days per week or put in 6 hour study days maybe 2-3 per week? I do have between April-May or June without my courses so I will have more time to study then. Also, should I study large chunks of each subject at a time or alternate? Sorry for rambling I am just extremely confused on where to start :lol:

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT preparation varies widely from person to person. I know some folks who did well after 4 months of diligent studying for 4+ hours a day and others who did a 5 week crash course studying for 8+ hours a day. In order to get a better idea of where you are, you should evaluate how well you remember the material covered on the MCAT. The AAMC has a 110 page outline of what is fair game to be on the test, I highly recommend going through this document. Generally speaking, I think of MCAT prep in phases.

Phase 1 is content review. This is when you go through books and refresh/relearn details of the material. I highly recommend TBR for general and organic chemistry, physics, and biology. TBR is very detailed and provides challenging passages at the end of each chapter to practice what you've learned with spaced intervals. Make sure you practice CARS, I liked Jack Westin passages and would try to do two or three a day during this period. Going through Kaplan or TPR P/S should be sufficient as well. I tried to read the Kaplan P/S book once every 12 or 13 days (1 chapter a day).
(1-2 months)

Phase 2 is test taking and content review. During this phase try to take some simulated MCAT exams. I liked the first 5 Next Step exams because they were challenging. I tried Kaplan but found their questions to rely too much of memorization of small details and less on reasoning with passages / diagrams. Make sure you take these under timed conditions either once per week or once every two weeks. Address content gaps as necessary. I would also recommend getting UWorld. Their B, P/S, and CARS sections are strong and have great explanations. I would recommend doing simulated test sections (59 questions in 1:35) to get used to the timing (most common issue folks have is not being used to the timing of the exam). For me, I tried to do two sections with a timed break in between. I would then spend the next two days addressing content gaps and making flash cards.
(1 - 1.5 months)

Phase 3 is AAMC material. Ideally, this last phase is when you have no outside commitments. You have 5 AAMC FL exams that you can use to gauge your preparation (Sample, and FL 1-4). Each exam should take you two to three days to thoroughly review in terms of understanding why you got a question wrong and then fill in content gaps. Pay attention to the trend of your scores. Ideally, your scores should improve from week to week. During the week, go through their question packs and sample passages. Again, use a timed approach. Your goal is to get as much practice with the timing as possible. Personally, I wanted to finish my last full length practice exam about two weeks before my actual test date. That way I wouldn't psych myself out as the test got closer.
(1 month)

One final piece of advice is a feel like with MCAT prep its really important to keep the momentum going. Don't do so much that you get burned out and take a couple days off. Doing 3-4 hours a day is fine. Some days that might mean you're doing two sections of TBR with questions and review. Other days that might mean your taking active notes with KA and practicing with Anki (highly recommend for P/S). By all means, take breaks and days off, but try not to do too much that you need several days to recover. Also, try to alternate subjects/sections. TBR has a 80 day and 120 day schedule that explains why rotating subjects is important and thats because the MCAT is a pretty interdisciplinary exam. Most of my chemistry and physics questions on the MCAT were asked in a passage that seemingly was about biochemistry or biology. Getting used to this is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I agree with almost everything that @GreenDuck12 said with a few caveats:
  • 3rd party resources are good, but make sure the AAMC is your foundation. I saved the AAMC FLs for the end, but I worked on AAMC questions throughout my studying. I actually went through the SB and CARS Q-packs 2x. I think going through the CARS 2x helped me go from a 123 on my first FL to a 129 on the real MCAT CARS section.
  • On a related note to my first point, don't waste your time with 3rd party CARS questions. I didn't realize this until much later in my studying, but once you start getting 127+ on the AAMC CARS questions you realize that all 3rd party CARS are a little off. Instead of doing the questions you can just read the passages provided (on places like Jack Westin) and focus on getting the main idea, linking to that main idea, and focusing while reading (easier said than done!)
Good luck! I always recommend looking through the 509+ compilation for good tips and tricks.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some great answers above me. So instead of reinventing the wheel, I will keep it simple:

* Learn how 'you learn'.
* Seek many opinions and see what names keep poping up.
* Find templates and customize it to your needs.
* Be in contact with your advisors often.

You got this.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors