What is the deal with May 15th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arashd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the significance of this date for withdrawls? Sorry, im clueless..

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure what you mean. This day is significant because as you said, you have to decline all but one of your acceptances...

arashd said:
What is the significance of this date for withdrawls? Sorry, im clueless..
it's kind of an agreed date by the AAMC. they need to set some kind of "deadline" so things can start to work out by august.

Members don't see this ad :)
if u have more than 1 acceptance before the date, you need to withdraw from all but 1 by that date. however, you can hold onto all the waitlists/alternates you want (what the deans told me)

Do you need to formally inform the one school that you are intending to hold a place at? Or if they dont hear from you do they just assume that you are holding onto to that spot?

notsittinpretty said:
Do you need to formally inform the one school that you are intending to hold a place at? Or if they dont hear from you do they just assume that you are holding onto to that spot?

I think it's common etiquette to let them know where they stand. That is, if you're definately attending there, you should let them know; or, if you're still holding on to waitlists and really want to go somewhere else, you should probably tell them that too. I doubt that you're required to tell them, but I think it's the right thing to do.