What is the difference between DO and MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Dent-David

Super Hero
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not prestigue ****, but like what is the difference in what you actually do in the medical profession.

Members don't see this ad.

In most cases - there is no difference.

Theoretically, osteopathic physicians should look at the body as an integrated unit and try to maintain healthy functions between various systems - but that's how most MDs (internal med) operate anyway.

There are some who actively practice OMM (osteopathic manipulative medicine). MDs can't because they did not learn this in med school.

Other than that, no difference.

Similar (but not exactly) to the differences between DDS and DMD

For a better explanation, I suggest you visit some websites (such as www.aoa-net.org or www.aacomas.org)

I hope this explains it.

Group_theory (today's point group is C4V - like methane)

Think about it like this... Osteopathic medicine teaches medicine from the framework of a philosophy (some guy developed some guidelines on how effective medicine of all types should be practiced and personally I like these guidelines). Part of this philosophy emphasizes the importance of the musculoskeletal system and manifests itself in our medical education as additional courses which are basically a combination of physiology and orthopedics.

Allopathic medicine teaches medicine in the absence of any real articulated philosophy (which is not to say that it is lesser in any way).

In the end, however, both MDs and DOs receive the same core medical education and have the same unlimited licenses to practice medicine of all types. Most importantly, both are held to the same legal "standard of care." So if you present to the ER with crushing chest pain you aren't going to receive different care from the two different professionals.

Does this clear it up for you?

(Future DOs, please note that I explained the difference between the two branches without using the words MANIPULATION or HOLISTIC *and* without speaking negatively of the other branch.)

Members don't see this ad :)
The original question ask for the "difference"

Instead of going over the history and philosophy of osteopathic medicine, the short simple answer is

MANIPULATION

It is taught in all 19 (soon to be 20) DO schools and all US trained DO learned manipulation in med school.

MD schools do not teach manipulation. Not speaking negatively about the MD school but they do not teach manipulation (some teach biomechanics which is close)

The original question ask for the differene in medical practice:
In most cases - there is none.

In some cases, there are those who use manipulations.

group theory said it well--
boichem is biochem, anatomy is anatomy, pharmacology is pharmocology-- these topics are universal. The main difference is omm....and i would venture to say that DO schools like the "nontraditional" student a bit more. In the real world the difference is mute.