What is the difference between nonpolar and hydrophobic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between nonpolar and hydrophobic? I use these two terms interchangeably, but is there any difference between these two terms that I should be aware for MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

nonpolar is specifically a chemistry term meaning the molecule does not have a net dipole moment. it just so happens to be hydrophobic because water is a polar molecule and so nonpolar compounds do not dissolve in water.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly as @azor ahai put it. Nonpolar molecules are going to be hydrophobic because water is a polar molecule, and like dissolves like. Since non polar molecules cannot bind to water, non polar molecules are deemed hydrophobic. I would say it's safe for the test to use these 2 interchangeably. If a compound is hydrophobic that means it should be non polar overall, if it's non polar it should be hydrophobic.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the difference between nonpolar and hydrophobic? I use these two terms interchangeably, but is there any difference between these two terms that I should be aware for MCAT?
Exactly as @azor ahai put it. Nonpolar molecules are going to be hydrophobic because water is a polar molecule, and like dissolves like. Since non polar molecules cannot bind to water, non polar molecules are deemed hydrophobic. I would say it's safe for the test to use these 2 interchangeably. If a compound is hydrophobic that means it should be non polar overall, if it's non polar it should be hydrophobic.
A compound can also be hydrophobic AND hydrophillic such as the phospholipid molecule of the plasma membrane. The phospholipid molecule of the plasma membrane has a hydrophillic head and a hydrophobic tail (chain of Carbon atoms, which is non-polar). See image and caption here.

Generally, a nonpolar compound is hydrophobic since water, the main solvent, does not attract or form any 'partial' bonds with nonpolar molecules.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A compound can also be hydrophobic AND hydrophillic such as the phospholipid molecule of the plasma membrane. The phospholipid molecule of the plasma membrane has a hydrophillic head and a hydrophobic tail (chain of Carbon atoms, which is non-polar). See image and caption here.

Generally, a nonpolar compound is hydrophobic since water, the main solvent, does not attract or form any 'partial' bonds with nonpolar molecules.

excellent example.

Reactions: 1 user
Some nonpolar compound do exhibit hydrophilic properties. Especially short hydrocarbon chain. Can anyone confirm it for me?