What is the hardest course (undergraduate or otherwise) that you ever took?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Led Zep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What Course? What made it so hard? Was it worth it?

I'm taking an anatomy course and it's very tedious, a lot of memorization, very intensive exams. I'm not complaining I'm just acknowledging that it's a challenge. I appreciate the course's difficulty and it really means something to me when I get positive results.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

AP chemistry in high school. I literally studied for hours and still couldnt' get better than a B.
Our midterm second semester was so hard, the averages was in the 20s. Highest score was a 76 and the teacher REFUSED to curve. At all. I think I got like a 53. And I took it senior year so it was harder to care once I got accepted to college. That's the only C I've ever had on any trascript.

After that, orgo. The professor specifically designs tests so the average is a low 40. The test was always 8 questsion and the last question was a sythesis question (given this reactent, make this product). They were so hard, people taking advances organic chemstiry (thus, chem majors planning on going into a PhD in Orgo) didn't get it right half the time. And here we are, sophomores, expected to do this problem. Only 10 people out of the 130 person class got As or A-s. I had 30 pts above the average and that was a B.

I am currently taking a gross anatomy/cadaver course as well. It is quite tedious, but not all that difficult. The toughest course I've taken thus far was genetics; only two of the 100 students earned A's. Rough.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
psych way too much memorization for me.
like no handwork or anything just pure memorization of dates and names.

I think the hardest course I took was Immunology - the course material was challenging itself, there is rather a lot to remember, but the professor was very demanding. Lots of extra work (research papers, journal articles, projects) as well as 10 question essay tests...but I still learned a lot!!!

Orgo for me, at least so far. The prof is so awesome though. He's hilarious and apparently he graduated undergrad with a sub 2.0 GPA, which is pretty astonishing considering that he went on to get a PhD in organic chem. The average for our first quiz was a 40, which I guess isn't that bad, but we get our first exams back on Friday.....that should be interesting. This might be the only class where I'll be completely ecstatic with a B. :smuggrin:

Unfortunately I suspect there to be some crazy hardcore gunners, so the curve may have been completely decimated :(

Parisitology. I think it's more of how our specific class is set up.... doesn't work well for an 8 week class.

I think the hardest class I've taken in terms of material was a course on genetics and molecular biology. However, I feel like the hardest class to get an A in was actually a writing course on experimental biology. The prof teaches you how to write a good scientific paper essentially. Each draft, you pretty much always get butchered and destroyed so it's hard to get a good grade. In the end, I think it was a good class since I can write papers better now! (though my grade may not reflect it since the class wasn't curved lol)

quantum physics, hands down, but definitely worth it, changed my whole outlook on life...

Public speaking. I can't say I'm intimidated too much by speaking in front of crowds, but we were required to be very social and enthusiastic in our speeches, and my instructor was constantly telling me that I had to show more emotion. It was difficult, because I'm such an introverted person and I speak in a monotone voice. I'm very dry in the way I talk.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Biochemistry/genetics + lab over the summer. The course crammed ALL the material in the same depth from a regular term into a 6 week class without any of the built-in tutoring support or any grade insulators like a final project (normally part of the course), just brutal exams and very challenging very conceptual homework.

I had two friends in the class, both science majors and pre-health students. One barely got a C- and the other was doing so poorly he didn't even bother showing up for the final. I still don't know of anyone who got an A.

I should also say it was one of my favorite classes in terms of content, even if it kicked my butt.

He's hilarious and apparently he graduated undergrad with a sub 2.0 GPA, which is pretty astonishing considering that he went on to get a PhD in organic chem. (

This doesn't makes sense at all. One can't get in to a graduate program with a 2.0, not even at a non top university. With a 2.0 one wouldn't have the knowledge to be able to complete a doctorate program within the respected with that weak of a background.

This doesn't makes sense at all. One can't get in to a graduate program with a 2.0, not even at a non top university. With a 2.0 one wouldn't have the knowledge to be able to complete a doctorate program within the respected with that weak of a background.
I'm just saying what he said, I don't really know the circumstances. He has no reason to lie to a bunch of gunner premeds anyway, so I'm taking his word for it.

Algebra II, hands down. It wasn't even a question of workload. It's the only class I've ever taken where I flat out wasn't smart enough to understand some of the things we were doing. The Hopf Fibration? Seriously?

biophysical chemistry by far...

Analytical Chemistry!
Only because I didn't study enough myself and relied on the professor too much. I hate memorizing obsolete components of chemical apparatus and some dead people's names!

Thermodynamics (Physical Chemistry) is also challenging but so much more satisfying :D Finally, chemistry I've taken for the past three years can be applied to systems that people actually use in real life. :D

Orgo II was really, really hard. I did well, but I have never had to work so hard in my life to do well.

Physics II was also terrible, but mostly because I had absolutely no interest in it whatsoever, so every lab/homework/lecture made me want to rip my eyeballs out. Because that might've been more interesting. :laugh:

My own demons:
7 credits Biochem lecture and 1 credit lab -In our class of 300 students, the highest class average for the entire year was 65 and the lowest was 38. Plus class was made of UG and grad students, with the only difference on the test being more essay questions for grad students. Honestly worst year of class ever and I didn't learn a damn thing. I should have believed my friend who took it the previous year when she warned me about the difficulty and not learning anything. Thank god it was curved.. never was so grateful for a B in my life.

Physics I lecture: I fail at Newtonian physics. >/ Maybe my brain is just jaded from having two bad teachers for it, once in high school and once in college. Plus the test was horrible, 10 multiple choice problems where you had to work out the formulas and the answers were 1)0.000-0.999, b) 1.000-1.999, and included options up to ae) so if you messed up your sig figures anywhere.. you didn't get ANY credit for the work. So lame.

Intermediate Poetry. Didn't need to take it for any reason other than that I wanted to see if I could hack it. Turns out I'm a lousy poet, but it was a good experience.

Advanced Macroeconomics, Never studied so hard for a D in my life.

Honors multivariable calculus and linear algebra. It was tough because it takes an incredible amount of work and then, if you're not smart enough, you STILL can't solve the proof.

People frequently say that mathematics is perfect. Unlike physics, it is built upon axioms defined by humans. These flawless axioms sets the rules for this world you travel in. It upholds the integrity of every line you write, and theorems compiled through history are simply little gems that helps you get to your destination. But traveling in this world is not simple because not everyone is gifted w/ foresight.

You're sitting in the library for 12 hours straight attempting to solve these ridiculously elaborate proofs that spans pages, you're getting close, and finally BAM! You're stuck on a step. You can't figure out the next piece of the puzzle. You are done, you are dead, you failed. You spend the next 3 hours trying different permutations and invoking different theorems to no avail.

All this happens while someone else who is simply smarter walks by and goes "oh, have you thought of trying this?" and suddenly everything made sense. He solved it. He stole the puzzle from you and completed it for you.

That class was how I knew I am not meant to be a theoretical mathematician. And that no matter how many movies of cool genius mathematicians I see, no matter how much red brick and history lies behind the shadows of the buildings I am sitting in, no matter how hard I try, somethings are simply beyond my capabilities.

At the end of that year, the thought of medicine started sprouting somewhere deep in my mind. It took me 3 more years to accept it and go on to go to medical school, but that class was the turning point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Calculus II

:thumbup:

Problem was I lied to get into Calc 1 about taking it in high school so I didn't have to "waste time" (as I thought) on other math classes. I never even took precalc.

Orgo II... was the only class I ever had to repeat. Intro to Biochem was the next worst; it all depends on the teachers really. Both those teachers set really high standards without pausing to see if anybody was keeping up, so that was something to get used to.

Besides these classes, my absolute worst were my history requirements! I took 2 courses via distance education in my final semester. Distance education is actually a very bad idea sometimes! To make up for there being no lectures, I had to write over 40 10-page essays that semester, solely based on the material in the textbooks. Reading those things cover-to-cover and then typing away took about 12 hours per day for 3 months, since I guess essays don't come so naturally to me. I still cringe when I think about it.

Honors Calc. II. Proof based/theoretical, and I was basically the only kid who hadn't been exposed to Calc. II prior to the class. There were 1 or 2 savants who could breeze through it, but for the rest of us multiple all nighters, take home tests that sucked up weekends, and constant stressing that you were going to fail. I took this concurrently with Orgo 1 and Bio 2 so my Orgo grade suffered.

I met cool peeps and enjoyed the class environment. But it messed up my BCPM GPA (along with honors calc. 1)

Here's a dirty little secret:

Some of the best PhD's didn't excel at undergrad. Undergrad GPA has very little bearing on how well of a researcher someone will be. That is why Grad Schools care much more about subject specific GRE's and Lab experience.

Intro Bio 1, this prof at my school was infamous with her weed out tests. If you did not have a rigorous biology class in high school you would be lucky to come out of this class with a B. I took another professor for Bio 2. She was so much easier and if you took these online quizzes daily she gave you a 10 point average boost yes only have to make a B semester average to get an A in the class. So I ended up with like a 103 for the class, because her tests were fairly simple.

I faired a lot better in 3000 level biology/anatomy courses, Ochem 1/2 etc than that Intro Bio 1 class. To this day I still think that she had the toughest tests ever. You are pretty much required to know every single thing from Campbell and Reese. Some facts that you might find irrelevant could always be tested.

What Course? What made it so hard? Was it worth it?

I'm taking an anatomy course and it's very tedious, a lot of memorization, very intensive exams. I'm not complaining I'm just acknowledging that it's a challenge. I appreciate the course's difficulty and it really means something to me when I get positive results.

Anyone else?
I'm studying for an anatomy/physiology test for tomorrow and I've been studying since last Friday. Even though I'm getting most of the answers right on the past midterms I still feel kind of nervous because there is SO much to memorize and the MC can come out of nowhere!

Here's a dirty little secret:

Some of the best PhD's didn't excel at undergrad. Undergrad GPA has very little bearing on how well of a researcher someone will be. That is why Grad Schools care much more about subject specific GRE's and Lab experience.

No. You still have to understand the basics, because you have coursework to complete in a grad program. For instance, you can't do poorly in calculus (after studying hard) and expect to get through the coursework in a Ph.d program in math or physics. I got a Ph.d in geophysics before going to medical school, and I can say that the courses were VERY tough. Without a good foundation in physics and math, it would have been very hard to get through the grad level courses in my former program. Think about it. If you can't understand ochem at the sophomore level, how would you get through a graduate course in ochem? Going back to the math example, how would you even complete an ugrad program in math if you can't even handle college algebra or calculus, etc.

Also, grad programs don't accept gpa's that low. You would have to do quite a bit of remedial prep.

Honors multivariable calculus and linear algebra. It was tough because it takes an incredible amount of work and then, if you're not smart enough, you STILL can't solve the proof.

People frequently say that mathematics is perfect. Unlike physics, it is built upon axioms defined by humans. These flawless axioms sets the rules for this world you travel in. It upholds the integrity of every line you write, and theorems compiled through history are simply little gems that helps you get to your destination. But traveling in this world is not simple because not everyone is gifted w/ foresight.

You're sitting in the library for 12 hours straight attempting to solve these ridiculously elaborate proofs that spans pages, you're getting close, and finally BAM! You're stuck on a step. You can't figure out the next piece of the puzzle. You are done, you are dead, you failed. You spend the next 3 hours trying different permutations and invoking different theorems to no avail.

All this happens while someone else who is simply smarter walks by and goes "oh, have you thought of trying this?" and suddenly everything made sense. He solved it. He stole the puzzle from you and completed it for you.

That class was how I knew I am not meant to be a theoretical mathematician. And that no matter how many movies of cool genius mathematicians I see, no matter how much red brick and history lies behind the shadows of the buildings I am sitting in, no matter how hard I try, somethings are simply beyond my capabilities.

At the end of that year, the thought of medicine started sprouting somewhere deep in my mind. It took me 3 more years to accept it and go on to go to medical school, but that class was the turning point.

Jesus Christ. Write a Stephen King novel about it why don't you.

Reactions: 2 users

He also decided to go medicine after turning down the idea of becoming a novelist. Give him a break. just playing.

My worst class was a 9 day history class i took in the winter break of my freshman year at college. It was spread across 3 weeks. I swear, I never felt so depressed in my life for that 3 weeks. You had to read a book that was about 300 pages, write a 5-7 page paper on the book, and a final which had two essay components including multiple choice. The book was HARD to read, it talked about zionism. probably the most satisfying A i received!:D

Most time consuming: Med school biochemistry. I've been sleeping on couches in the hospital 3 hours a night to maximize my all day studying, keeping a toothbrush in my backpack so at least i brush my teeth. Getting honors in med school is not easy

Most difficult: Bio 1 at washington university. withdrew failing the first time, got a D the second time. This was the textbook: http://bcs.whfreeman.com/biochem5/default.asp?s=&n=&i=&v=&o=&ns=0&t=&uid=0&rau=0

Yeah, a high-end biochemistry textbook for first semester bio. Way over my head

As a freshman taking first semester biology, i could not understand for the life of me "r groups", "ester linkages", and the chemistry behind cyclic compounds. The guys who had orgo in high school had less trouble

Difficult due to memorization - a 400-level honors biochemistry course
Difficult due to concepts - quantum chemistry

Taking these two classes the same semester - a lesson in time management

Senior Recital -- 2 units but a minimum of 20-30 hrs/wk of work (incl. practice time, coordinating with other musicians, venue coordination, etc.), requires heavy leadership skills as well as technical and artistic skills.

hardest = quantum physics 2
most work = honors ochem lab (in addition to the 8 hours/week in lab, we needed to turn in 30+ page lab reports every week)

Quantitative analysis. Not because it's difficult, but because it's so unbelievably boring. An entire semester on gravimetry and titrimetry. The labs are 4 hours long and require 3 replications for statistical analysis. Just what I want to do, mix solutions and do titrations from 8 am to noon in excruciating detail so as to not invoke errors (because we're graded on errors in parts per thousand.) :bang:

Just wait until Heat, Mass, and Momentum Transfer (two courses at GaTech). I almost cried during one of those tests.
Already took those (called Transport Phenomena I and II here), and they weren't as bad IMO. Our Thermo teacher is sadistic, we also have him for Separation Processes, which is also turning into a real PITA.

discrete mathematics.

Not only is theoretical math difficult in the first place, the teacher designed the course to be graded on a bell curve so only about 5 people out of 150+ got an A or A -. I was not one of them.

A humbling experience to say the least.

Honors biomedical statistics... i'm still having nightmares

Already took those (called Transport Phenomena I and II here), and they weren't as bad IMO. Our Thermo teacher is sadistic, we also have him for Separation Processes, which is also turning into a real PITA.

That's what they call them where I go too. I didn't care for Thermo I too much, but I actually liked Thermo II (Vapor-liquid equil.).

I'm in separations now too and can't stand it. We just had a test that if I get a 40 on I'll be happy. No one in the class came close to finishing.

genetics and molecular bio. mainly because 2 part course with 2 different teachers. got a clasp on the way the first teacher taught just as her cycle was ending... whine

physiology and biochemistry of prokaryotes

medical biochem was nothing compared to that class

you bonehead. it was the best post in the entire thread.

on topic: my senior seminar in Critical Theory. I never had any idea what those Frankfurt School dudes were talking about.