What is the least malignant place for cardiothoracic fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anesthesia_girl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a CA1 and would like to pursue cardiac anesthesia fellowship. Somehow, the info I am finding on all the places is sooo limited. I have no geographic preference, but would like to hear those that have done their fellowship talk about their program? What were your hours? How about personalities (both surgeons and anesthesia attendings)? Did you have to do research to graduate? What was your top 5 list of programs when you were matching? Would appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think its a joke. The cardiac fellows at CCF are treated very well and have pretty cush hours and call schedule, from what I recall. There are a lot of other programs that are far tougher

cardiac cases are too long to be sought after.. Who wants to sit in a room for 3-5 hours at a clip everysingle day? NOT I!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
UCSD is supposed to be pretty awesome. Good case mix and great attendings and you get to work with Kaplan who I hear is amazing to work with. Very non-malignant.

Ccf is a great educational experience. While I wouldn't call it malignant at all it is intense... Definitely not a place you could slack off and get away with it

I am also interested in this topic. How about Duke or Vanderbilt? Anybody with some insight?

I am also interested in this topic. How about Duke or Vanderbilt? Anybody with some insight?

Not sure if you actually mean malignant or just hard working. Duke is an excellent fellowship that is reasonably hard working, but certainly not malignant. You'll do a good number and variety of all sorts of complex CT cases. The echo training is ridiculous, as you may already know. We have multiple faculty who are acclaimed TEE experts.

Happy to answer specific questions about the Duke fellowship.

I graduated CCF fellowship in 2015. We did like 55-60 hrs average. Almost without fail, two cases everyday. Call can be brutal, case-wise, but you learn a TON and see a TON of great stuff. And the intraop teaching is fantastic.

Easier programs (hour-wise), compared to that of CCF, would include: UPMC (no mandatory in-house call), Allegheny General/West Penn (no call), and University of Michigan.

I'd be interested in hearing generalities about the Midwest/Southeast CT fellowships. From the area, training in New England and hope to come back for fellowship and work after. Appreciate the feedback about CCF and Duke above, any input from anyone about Vandy, Emory, WashU, Ohio State, Cincy, etc. Thanks folks.

I graduated CCF fellowship in 2015. We did like 55-60 hrs average. Almost without fail, two cases everyday. Call can be brutal, case-wise, but you learn a TON and see a TON of great stuff. And the intraop teaching is fantastic.

Easier programs (hour-wise), compared to that of CCF, would include: UPMC (no mandatory in-house call), Allegheny General/West Penn (no call), and University of Michigan.

I interviewed at CCF last year for their CT fellowship. Some of the fellows had mentioned that CRNAs relieve them at end of the day so I was wondering how late do you guys normally stay each day?

Wait I thought you were at UMich for CCM bigdan?

Just curious what your definition of malignant is? My program involved a LOT of call but I didn't think that was a negative because that's where I learned a lot. Most transplants happened after hours, and I wanted to get a lot of those.