What is the line between average EC's and above average EC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hysteria95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I see people giving their stats on SDN and talk about have 100+ shadowing and 100+ volunteering and 50 or so research. I know every application is different. But how many hours in volunteering and shadowing are competitive?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

It's more about the range of experiences than anything. Obviously quality > quantity, but a wide range of experiences results in a well rounded individual. Every competetive applicant has volunteer and shadowing hours; do something outside of the box.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would just note too, EC's are in addition to your shadow/volunteer hours. I think they can overlap with your volunteer hours some in cases of working for Relay for Life, Habitat, Free Dental Clinics, etc., but, at least to me, EC's are participation in campus clubs, sports, time spent with church activities, etc.

Take time in undergrad to explore your interests--both those related to dentistry and those that have nothing to do with it. Volunteer for whatever organizations/causes you're passionate about and don't be concerned with needing to accumulate a "competitive" number of hours. Ultimately, what dental schools will want to talk about with you--and what you should be excited to talk about with them--is your experience volunteering with X organization and what they've helped you learn about yourself/your community/etc.

To end by shamelessly quoting my man Abraham Lincoln: "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Enjoy your experiences and good luck with your application!

Reactions: 1 users