what is the lowest GRE score you have use to apply to vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marley123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey.... I took the GRE for the first time and didn't do well at all. since I took it this month, I can't take again until next month but the aplication is due in a week. I got everything else required but a low GRE, so I was wondering if I should still apply with my low gre or don't even bother. what has been the lowest GRE score you have applied with and have been considered?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have all your pre-req's done and have vet/animal experience and great LOR's why not apply? You have nothing to lose but everything to gain if you apply and get in this year even with a low GRE score. If you don't mind me asking, what is your GPA, GRE score, and how much vet experience do you have? That might help the rest of us in kind of helping you decide. You should go for it though, or at least apply to your in-state school :)

P.S. I've noticed this is your first post...so you may want to introduce yourself on the new members/lurkers thread. People might be more inclined to reply to your post :)

I'm not ashamed to admit I got into vet school with my GRE <1000. I think it was 960, 980 something like that. Yeah it sucked, but some schools really don't value GRE scores as much as others (thank goodness!) And I know some of my classmates got <1000 as well.
Go for it and apply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I was in your boat a couple of years ago. The first time I took the GRE was too late to re-take it and got a HORRIBLE math score and not so great verbal. I still threw my app in just with the thought "who knows" and I knew that I was going to work on my app for the next cycle and study to retake the GRE. Obvoiusly, I didn't get but why not just go ahead and apply :)

By the way here are last years stats of people that got in. There is a huge range of GRE scores!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=689494&highlight=stats

GOOD LUCK!

I'd go ahead and apply...but if you don't get in...then you know next time don't take the GRE so late. I think that was really poor planning on your part

I don't mind posting them, but looking at the stats I really feel way low than anybody (but I also know that people take it multiple times and only post their best one). here it goes: undergrad and science GPA: 3.6, vet/animal experience 2,500+, and :smack:gre: verval: 300 and math:400 (when taking the test: I totally run out of time and had to guess at the end) part of the problem was that I never practiced with the pressure of the time:mad::(.
Now do you think is worth it to apply???

P.S. where is the new members/lurkers thread? :)

3.6 is a good GPA! and you have pretty good hours with the vet/animal experience...APPLY!

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't the range 200 - 800? Those aren't good scores, but pick somewhere like Mizzou that doesn't care about them. I know other schools care less, too.

You could apply and it wouldn't hurt anything obviously, but I think you need to prepare yourself to retake it. The first time I took it, I got a 980 but I had time to retake it and pulled it up to a 1200 (660Q, 540V) --- so pulling it up is extremely possible.

The number one thing to remember for these tests is to take TIMED practice sections over and over and over. I would take practice sections, grade my test, then review math skills and verbal scores for a few days. Each week for 6 weeks-ishI made it my goal to take 1 test and then lots of skills review.

Don't lose hope though. I didn't study much the first time I took it and then busted tail for the second time and did well. :)

You have nothing to lose by applying! Your other stats sound strong, and as others have said: some schools value the GRE less than others.

If you don't get in this round, you will have had the valuable experience of applying and you'll be able to spend the year making your application even more competitive. Just bringing up the GRE score will probably help a lot -and it might not be that hard to do. If you lost many points for running out of time (unanswered questions take off more points than incorrect ones, as I recall) then perhaps it's more a matter of practice and testing skills than difficulty with the material. Taking practice tests, learning the tricks and shortcuts of GRE, and just getting more comfortable should go a long way to bringing your score up. Mine increased about 100 points each time I took a practice test, and I did better on the real thing than any of the practices!

Anyway, hopefully you will get in this round and won't have to worry about it ever again :)

Hmm, if everything else is really strong, apply anyways... it's worth the year saved if you are ready to go.

I applied to the UK schools last year (did not take the GRE) and got in, but decided I could not afford to go there...

I am now applying instate and finally bit the bullet late August and started my app. I took the GRE just over a week ago--yeah, I know, I was pushing it. I studied for three weeks and was very pleased with my results. I never thought three weeks was enough, but it was (and I work full-time, so this was all on the side).

The GRE is definitely a test one can learn and beat. Soo...

I would definitely consider retaking. My guess is that if you sent the school updated scores this fall--ones that were remarkably better, it could only help your application. Also, why not explain those bad scores in the field on the app about hardship/etc? Just make sure you explain well... no lying, no lame excuses!

I'm not ashamed to admit I got into vet school with my GRE <1000. I think it was 960, 980 something like that. Yeah it sucked, but some schools really don't value GRE scores as much as others (thank goodness!) And I know some of my classmates got <1000 as well.
Go for it and apply!

Do you know what the <1000 would be for the new GRE? Apparently a 312 (of 370) is really low. Even though score-wise, that's like a 90, which is (in my opinion) crazy impressive because the GRE is sneakily difficult. It's so simple that it's hard.

And on that note, I'm taking it tomorrow (yikes) for the first time; really, really poor planning on my part, because I'm also applying this summer. But I haven't had any other time to study/prepare/take it before this. Some of the schools I'm applying to are the type that either doesn't require a minimum GRE score or will take a high GPA in place of the GRE. My GPA is 3.8, so I think I'm set for that "or" part...

BUT, I've also been studying for months and have barely seen my practice scores improve. -_- And unfortunately I usually hover around 50-60%. Which is really frustrating.
I'm also taking biochem this summer, so I've got a lot on my plate, and I'm wondering whether or not I should even continue the application process. I'm graduating in December, so theoretically I'd have a whole spring semester "off" of school if all goes well until then. So I'll have that time to improve on whatever I need to in order to reapply and hopefully get in. :/

Does anyone have any similar experience with this sort of situation?

ALSO, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one on here that seems to attract rather rude answers and ridicule for seeking help.

The first time I applied I got a 153 in both verbal and quantitative. I got a couple of interviews, but only wait listed. The second time I applied, I got a 154 quant and 156 verbal. Not really much improvement, but I got interviews at all 4 schools I applied to and I got 2 acceptances and 2 wait lists. And when I took the GRE the first time, my dog got really sick for about 2 weeks so I was really stressed and didn't have much time to study.

As long as you think you can score in the 50-60% range and the rest of your stats are good, I wouldn't completely count out applying this cycle. Most of the schools don't seem to place too much emphasis on it!

Do you know what the <1000 would be for the new GRE? Apparently a 312 (of 370) is really low. Even though score-wise, that's like a 90, which is (in my opinion) crazy impressive because the GRE is sneakily difficult. It's so simple that it's hard.

And on that note, I'm taking it tomorrow (yikes) for the first time; really, really poor planning on my part, because I'm also applying this summer. But I haven't had any other time to study/prepare/take it before this. Some of the schools I'm applying to are the type that either doesn't require a minimum GRE score or will take a high GPA in place of the GRE. My GPA is 3.8, so I think I'm set for that "or" part...

BUT, I've also been studying for months and have barely seen my practice scores improve. -_- And unfortunately I usually hover around 50-60%. Which is really frustrating.
I'm also taking biochem this summer, so I've got a lot on my plate, and I'm wondering whether or not I should even continue the application process. I'm graduating in December, so theoretically I'd have a whole spring semester "off" of school if all goes well until then. So I'll have that time to improve on whatever I need to in order to reapply and hopefully get in. :/

ALSO, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one on here that seems to attract rather rude answers and ridicule for seeking help.
Total verbal+quant would be 340, not 370. And because it's not really graded like a normal test, you can't go by straight percentage. But 312 would be about 156 per section, which is good, especially if your GPA is good. Really what schools tend to look at is percentiles - how you scored compared to others who took the same test you did.

Reactions: 1 user

:rolleyes:

I got in with a combined 312 and a lower GPA than a 3.8. A 312 is not really low, actually, especially considering the fact that you can only score a maximum of 340...not 370 (excluding any points from the writing section). Not sure where 370 came from. And, if you use Google, you can find conversion tables for the old GRE -> new GRE.

There was a bit of a debate regarding what is considered a "high" GRE score on the APVMA page a few weeks ago. There is a lot of misinformation out there IMO...some people believe/claim that a very high percentage of test takers get perfect scores (340/340). I'm not digging it up, but you might want to go find it and read it if you're that worried about getting a 312. Someone posted good stats about the score distribution. For pre-vet peers, the average scores across the board are in the low 150's for both V and Q. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...amAfOLU9-g7TZbw&bvm=bv.95277229,d.b2w&cad=rja See this PDF.

Actually, the GRE really isn't a "simple" test. Most students seem to think they need to cram, cram, and cram for it. I see peers walking around with 6 inches worth of vocab flash cards and two or three math prep books. While I'm all for brushing up, particularly with your quantitative-portion skills, the GRE actually requires that you have more problem-solving logic than the ability to recall how to solve a math problem you haven't seen since trig/geometry/whatever. That was actually the best hint about the exam I'd received, and it was from someone who was running an ETS-sponsored practice exam. Know how to read a problem, figure out what you need to solve for, and how to solve for it using the info provided. You do need to have those mathematical skills, but personally, I think it's overkill to study for months upon months and drop a lot of $$ on classes when you can devote some of that time to your GPA (which will always be weighed more heavily). Just my two cents.

Lowest I applied with was a 310 combined score, which was just two points above the bare minimum that was required of one of my top choices.