What is the pass rate for the Rad Onc oral board exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peach12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Do we have any data on the pass rate for the Rad Onc oral board exam?
Good studying and good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
Do we have any data on the pass rate for the Rad Onc oral board exam?
Good studying and good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't realize the 2022 numbers were out. Interesting how they've been able to keep the pass rate relatively tight compared to the writtens. I'm sure that's got nothing to do with the ABR and everything to do with the "declining quality of resident" [insert PRO citation here].

Members don't see this ad :)
The pass rate for orals has been about 90% +/- for years/decades as far as I can recall.

Last edited:
Non first time test takers got smoked in '22 with 33% pass rate.

Laurence Fishburne Sweet Jesus GIF by NETFLIX

• Love
Curious what the proportion is between conditioned 1-2 sections vs. outright fail (3+ sections)... and would be good to publish which programs have issues (batched 5 year periods or something like that so individuals are not obvious).

Gonna be interesting to see what pass rates are in 2026+ considering standards to match in these days

The standards conform to the applicants not the other way around

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
In the old old days.. the examiners (who hated each other) would fail each other's candidates. Or, conversely, if they disliked a certain resident could call in a 'hit' job.

It happened.. and the scumbags who do this kind of stuff never faced any real repercussions. Well, one did.. never got that chairmanship they craved so badly...

In the old old days.. the examiners (who hated each other) would fail each other's candidates. Or, conversely, if they disliked a certain resident could call in a 'hit' job.

It happened.. and the scumbags who do this kind of stuff never faced any real repercussions. Well, one did.. never got that chairmanship they craved so badly...
I've heard SO MANY stories around this. I'm not sure when it finally faded away, I would guess mid-to-late 2000s.

The majority of my examiners were actually pretty chill, even helpful. Two of them were...characters. One guy I'm pretty sure did the classic move where he knew he'd pass me in the first 5 minutes, so then he just started throwing wild scenarios out to see what I would say. Obviously I can't go into detail or the ABR will send SWAT to my office, but he managed to get a borderline "SDN-rant post" out of me, and I saw him chuckle once or twice.

The other dude...what a weirdo. Absolutely bizarre experience. Not actively malignant/aggressive but...so weird.

Reactions: 2 users
NBPAS beckons... if your hospital will take it. But its not much cheaper than ABR, but at least no stupid quiz questions.

NBPAS beckons... if your hospital will take it. But its not much cheaper than ABR, but at least no stupid quiz questions.

It's a very interesting thought, I should ask about that. Haha, I never noticed, but ABR is more money than many board fees. The joy of Rad Onc.

If you join this and drop the ABR, can you join the ABR again later if needed for a job?

Our supply and demand environment makes it really hard to do things outside the mainstream.

Check the hospital system you are at and see if you are able to do it with them.

I don't know what happens if you 'drop' ABR recert requirements. That's how they keep us by the short hairs - fear.

i think i know who you are talking about. sad that you can tell so link a person to a 2 line anonymous sdn post

I feel like an outlier. I had a very benign Oral Board experience. Was examined mostly by folks I've heard of/respect in the field.

Reactions: 1 users