what is the ultimate psychiatric reference textbook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what is considered the flagship textbook or volume of textbooks in psychiatry? I tried looking this up, and the closest thing I could find to something like this was the 3400 pg 2 volume "Kaplan and Sadock" textbook of psychiatry. Is there something else that is more respected, or is that book considered the best? The reason I ask is b/c I would like to purchase the best reference text, just out of personal interest.

Members don't see this ad.

As a medical student, I wouldn't get any of the big books. At most you could get the concise version of K&S. Later (in residency) I'd think about the Oxford New Textbook of Psychiatry, as an alternative to the full K&S.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO K&S is overrated. Several of the terms they tell you to memorize are for all intents and purposes no longer used in clinical practice even by top psychiatrists. Most of their data in their board prep books contain a plethora of information not tested on the actual exam and their questions bear little resemblance to real board questions.

As for their textbooks, the comprehensive is too big except for reference, the concise is too small except as a pocket guide, and all the books in between leave something to be desired. It pushes you in a direction where you have to buy all of them.

Their forensic sections IMHO still leave several areas not explained well even in the comprehensive sections. Several points of data do not have specific references to the origin on the data. There is a bibliography at the end of each chapter but often times no specific reference so you don't have the time to figure out where that info came from unless you're willing to dig through dozens of articles. Even then, after reading hundreds of pages of data, it's hard to pinpoint the reference.

Each time I read K&S, I get the impression that this is a small circle's interpretation of what a good psychiatry book should contain.

It's not a terrible book, I just don't think it deserves to carry the title of being the equivalent of a Harrison's for IM.

FYI there an electronic version of the latest Kaplan & Saddock floating on the internet.

I like the electronic version a lot as you