What is this secondary question actually asking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the question: "9. Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them?"

I'm confused about "how would you address them?" What sort of power does this question assume that I have? Is the question assuming that I can direct public policy, such as by subsidizing produce vendors in disadvantaged neighborhoods?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the question: "9. Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them?"

I'm confused about "how would you address them?" What sort of power does this question assume that I have? Is the question assuming that I can direct public policy, such as by subsidizing produce vendors in disadvantaged neighborhoods?
Out of curiosity what school is this for??

There are issues apart from literal financial or geographic access that would be in your power to assist with as a physician. Think a little harder about the realities of underserved communities.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could talk about the difficulties of rarely having a physician of their ethnicity and therefor possibly not aware of their cultural background and the specific challenges that they face.

The way I would approach this question would be top-down. First list a few things you would want to see changed at the policy level and how that would impact the underserved in a positive way. Then what a hospital or healthcare system could do. Then finally would you could personally do as a physician. That would be a pretty substantial essay, however, so if you don't have the room for that that I would focus on what you think you could change as a member of a community and as a leader of the community (i.e. as a physician). Good luck!

This is why shadowing is so important, and other experiences. Seriously, fresh produce for the poor????

I would first make a list of some of the issues. Then I would brainstorm what I might do in my clinic to address that.

Health literacy - make sure there are written materials, preferably at the 8th grade reading level, about some of the most commonly seen diagnoses and on preventative health, available in my clinic. Ask what is the highest level of education attained by a patient in a sensitive manner.
Use the "teach back" technique to ensure that directions are understood. Asking about what might be barriers to enacting a plan that the patient has expressed understanding of. Language barriers play into this.

Costs - being mindful of costs to the patient. There are apps, such as Epocrates, that will list prices of drugs for various healthplans, or out of pocket at places cheap pharmacies.

Mental health - screening patients and having referrals to various resources for this. Applicable in many specialties' clinics. Same for substance abuse. Learning and using motivational interviewing.

Support structures - exploring a patients support base, such as friends and family.

Being aware of the resources and programs at the local level for mental health, substance abuse, cheap vision or dental care, for food, clothing, applying for medicaid/utility assistance, or other types of government aid.

Being mindful of these, talking about these topics with a patient, and helping to direct them, can be the difference between compliance and difficulty for underserved populations.

Just a start. I went to med school so I know some of these are the right answers. As far as an essay for a pre-med, I don't know what they are looking for. Probably critical thinking on your part that I have now circumvented by throwing out the buzzwords.

I would love to see what the adcoms suggest.

Reactions: 7 users
This isn't Einsteinian physics.

If you could wave a magic wand to fix things, what would you do?

This is a common interview question, so I just saved you a rejection.

Reactions: 6 users
Drew might love an answer about overcoming the language barrier, since even if there is a physician nearby, some people might not be too likely to go if they could barely speak English and/or physician barely speak Spanish

I'd say go big and talk about threat of deportation and legal status. What does it mean for your community and what is your moral and ethical responsibility as a physician for care of undocumented peoples?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'd answer as if you were Elon Musk before eBay.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't get why food deserts are getting laughed at as a health issue?

Reactions: 3 users
I think the "Brawl in Bensonhurst" is more our style.

In 'dis corner in the 'da blue trunks, the man from west of st louis, Goro

And in 'da 'udder corner, in 'da paisley and polka dots trunks, Gonnif
Fixed that for you.

I don't get why food deserts are getting laughed at as a health issue?

This is a multi-faceted issue which requires a multi-pronged approach, no question about it. The issue is sometimes availability, but it is often much more.

I would go more with public health, education, literacy, and here's why. Even if you provide these fruits and vegetables - healthy foods in disadvantaged neighborhoods and areas, research on low SES and food insecurity suggests that they wont be purchased at high rates anyways, probably because of the education level associated with these SES, and also (maybe primarily) that the value of healthy foods for those in these situations isn't there. Meaning it doesn't make sense to buy expensive healthy foods when you're worried about maintaining from day to day and filling your stomach. Most of us on sdn can think about health because we already have other things we need (Maslows hierarchy). Most food deserts in urban areas also exist due to high crime and extremely low income. People don't want to build and run stores there. This is compounded by the fact that government funding with these subsidizing programs is extremely limited.

I see you are from Chicago, and they definitely have some food deserts there and they are significant to overall health. People might be shocked when I say that because its such a large city, but having a grocery store only a few miles away when many people don't have transportation to get there is a huge problem. Yes you can take the bus but if you have kids and a family where is all of that time? There is no healthy 3 meals a day. No transportation and probably working longer hours for less pay really makes you want to just walk up to the nearest fast food joint or gas station and buy some junk. Its a lot cheaper anyways; more calories less money.

In any event, food deserts and subsidies are definitely an issue. If you're going with a top down approach(from policy to physician), I agree it is essential to mention these issues.

Last edited:
This is a multi-faceted issue which requires a multi-pronged approach, no question about it.

However, I would go more with public health, education, literacy, and here's why. Even if you provide these fruits and vegetables - healthy foods in disadvantaged neighborhoods and areas, research on low SES and food insecurity suggests that they wont be purchased at high rates anyways, probably because of the education level associated with these SES, and also (maybe primarily) that the value of healthy foods for those in these situations isn't there. It doesn't make sense to buy expensive healthy foods when you're worried about maintaining from day to day and filling your stomach. Most food deserts in urban areas also exist due to high crime and extremely low income, which is a whole other can of worms. Most of us on sdn can think about health because we already have other things we need (Maslows hierarchy). This is compounded by the fact that government funding with these subsidizing programs is extremely limited.

I see you are from Chicago, and they definitely have some food deserts there and they are significant to overall health. People might be shocked when I say that because its such a large city, but having a grocery store only a few miles away when many people don't have transportation to get there is a huge problem. Yes you can take the bus but if you have kids and a family where is all of that time? There is no healthy 3 meals a day. No transportation and probably working longer hours for less pay really makes you want to just walk up to the nearest fast food joint or gas station and buy some junk. Its a lot cheaper anyways; more calories less money.

In any event, food deserts and subsidies are definitely an issue. If you're going with a top down approach(from policy to physician), I agree it is essential to mention these issues.

Well instead of "that the value of healthy foods for those in these situations isn't there" - which is questionable because nearly everybody knows that fruits and vegetables are healthy - it's that fresh produce is often 1) expensive (which you mentioned) and 2) requires extensive preparation that many people of low SES don't have the time for because you have to raise a family and make ends meet and cooking a well balanced meal with carbs, proteins, and healthy fats is not in the schedule.

The data shows that among food insecure and low income households fruit and vegetable consumption is much lower and cheaper calorie dense options take their place. So yes subsidizing should definitely be an interest as well as more comprehensive education programs from the ground up; particularly when dietetic choices are established early on in life.

Income is directly related to health for many reasons. Being able to buy food that is actually good for you is certainly one of them. Education which is directly associated with income level is necessary in understanding healthy lifestyle choices - eating well, avoiding chemically laden foods, exercise, and avoiding the use of drugs and alcohol.

Last edited:

I agree with what others have said about food insecurity and documentation status. I would add that safe, affordable housing is a major issue. As is the absurd rate of incarceration in this country and how people are (or are not) treated in prison. You could even talk about childcare and support for low-income working parents. We all know that maintaining good health will allow us to live longer, happier lives but for so many people that point is basically moot because their lives have already been cut short by poverty and racism.

Oh one that no one has mentioned yet is naloxone, needle exchanges, other harm reduction for drug use.