What is too far to drive to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samus2008

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I'm wondering how many hours of driving do you personally consider too much and would take a plane instead to your interview? The farthest school I applied to is 6 hours, followed by 5 followed by 3. I'm planning on driving my very reliable newish car to all. What's too far to drive for you guys? And how do you rationalize your decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically I'm wondering how many hours of driving do you personally consider too much and would take a plane instead to your interview? The farthest school I applied to is 6 hours, followed by 5 followed by 3. I'm planning on driving my very reliable newish car to all. What's too far to drive for you guys? And how do you rationalize your decision?

Have you ever driven for 6 hours straight?

I say, if it is in the next state over- fly (unless you're in the NE where everything is "close" or you're broke or something)

I am assuming you're staying in a hotel either way, right? You will need plenty of rest before your interview.

Depends on the person, but to me six hours is nothing.

Hell I'm driving six hours tomorrow to spend two days at a rotation site.

Members don't see this ad :)
I drove to Wilkes-Barre to stay at my aunts house for the weekend and then went to interview on Monday in Philly @ Jefferson.

But yeah, IMO, more than 250 miles is the maximum distance for me before I switch to train or planes for interviews.

You can't really predict what's gonna happen 100 miles in front of you when you're driving. Case in point: Memorial's Day Weekend this year, I left 11PM from NYC with a buddy to head down to Washington DC/Virginia. Called up our friends, told them we'd be there by 2:30AM. Didn't get out of Manhattan until 12AM. Called them again, and moved it back to 330am. Lo and behold, there is a bus on fire on the bridge connecting New Jersey and Delaware. We're stuck around that portion of I95 from around 1AM-4:30AM. It finally gets moving, and even though I hit 130 mph at some point, we get to our destination at 6:30AM.

Only you can answer that OP, because as Phat mentioned, everyone is different in terms of whether they even LIKE driving, whether they have commitments that come swiftly after the interview, etc.

I love driving, so if I was going to answer, it'd be biased toward driving, but my wife haaaaaaaates driving, and will likely tell you if it's more than 3 hours of a drive, just fly.

I drove 6 hours the day before for an interview. Stayed the night at a hotel so I was fresh for the interview and drove home after the interview. I was tired after I got home but it wasn't too bad. I figured I was going to spend a little less time at the airport (there wasn't a direct flight so I'd have to change planes which probably meant waiting awhile) and I'd have to get a cab also so I figured it would be better to save a few bucks.

I also drove to an interview that was 2.5 hours away. \It was tiring but wasn't too bad.

If you take enough breaks to eat, drink coffee, walk around at a gas station, etc., it shouldn't be too bad.

Personally, I'd take a plane if I had to drive more than 12 hours by myself.

If its more than a 3-4 mile drive, I'ma take a plane. Long drives are unpredictable and I just would hate driving for that long.

If its more than a 3-4 mile drive, I'ma take a plane. Long drives are unpredictable and I just would hate driving for that long.

I hope you live right next to the airport or have an airfield/helipad in your backyard. :smuggrin:

lmao Actually I do live next to an airport. Ft. Lauderdale International to be exact. A five minute drive. :)

Oh LMAO I meant hours. Be right back while I stick my head in the toilet :/

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal limit is 5-6 hours, just because I'm in school and can't really afford to spend 10 hours each way driving to an interview. Too much time missing classes.

I drove 6 hours the day before for an interview. Stayed the night at a hotel so I was fresh for the interview and drove home after the interview. I was tired after I got home but it wasn't too bad. I figured I was going to spend a little less time at the airport (there wasn't a direct flight so I'd have to change planes which probably meant waiting awhile) and I'd have to get a cab also so I figured it would be better to save a few bucks.

I also drove to an interview that was 2.5 hours away. \It was tiring but wasn't too bad.

Goodness, I drove almost two hours for an interview and b****** the whole time. No way would I drive that long.

Goodness, I drove almost two hours for an interview and b****** the whole time. No way would I drive that long.

I'm sure it depends on the quality of the route. 2 hours on the highway here is not that tiring. But 2 hours through the mountains and hills will make me get exhausted.

Drove ten hours each way to one interview. Would have cost me an arm and a leg to fly, so I drove. 10 hours there, stayed at an extremely crappy motel, got up, went to the interview, drove 10 hours back. That was one long ass day. Drove around 1500 miles in less than 48 hours. Good thing the rental car had unlimited mileage.

Drove ten hours each way to one interview. Would have cost me an arm and a leg to fly, so I drove. 10 hours there, stayed at an extremely crappy motel, got up, went to the interview, drove 10 hours back. That was one long ass day. Drove around 1500 miles in less than 48 hours. Good thing the rental car had unlimited mileage.

Why didn't you drive your own car?

I would have taken my car. Even if I would have to refuel 5-6 times.

Rental and fuel cost much less than a plane ticket?

As long as you're not considering canceling an interview due to driving distance...

Try 12 hours, one way. 24 hours, 1 whole day, worth driving. DRIVING. Sure, I stayed at an inn, pretty much just to sleep and change in the morning. The interview? It was an 8-5 deal. Right after it ended, I started to go back. And deal with a dad driving and your egos clashing. Yeah... glad I didn't go there for school.

As mentioned, cost and time are probably the biggest factors. I drove to a conference in San Antonio from LA because I could take the whole fam and the gma in law lived over by there so bed was cheap. It was 28 hours each way. Split the drive between me and the wife. 20 for me 8 for her. I've done 16 straight by myself before though. If I had the time, sure. But if not, it's worth the extra money for the flight.

Up to 6 hours id take a bus if its an easy route- like I95.

i dont think it is far for me
smile.gif

Also, the longer the drive for me, the more likely that I will get a speeding ticket. (One time I was traveling from NY to Penn, I got a ticket in each state along the way.)

no surprises there :laugh:

Also, the longer the drive for me, the more likely that I will get a speeding ticket. (One time I was traveling from NY to Penn, I got a ticket in each state along the way.)
Last time I went to Phoenix from Albuquerque I was surprised I didn't get a ticket. Does Arizona not have state police?:shrug:

As mentioned, cost and time are probably the biggest factors. I drove to a conference in San Antonio from LA because I could take the whole fam and the gma in law lived over by there so bed was cheap. It was 28 hours each way. Split the drive between me and the wife. 20 for me 8 for her. I've done 16 straight by myself before though. If I had the time, sure. But if not, it's worth the extra money for the flight.

Wow. That just sounds like torture.

I know the drive in Texas must have been horrendous. People tend to hate driving across Texas because the state is just so big.

Last time I went to Phoenix from Albuquerque I was surprised I didn't get a ticket. Does Arizona not have state police?:shrug:

Only if you don't have ID :smuggrin:

I drove to St. Louis from Phoenix in a straight shot. I slept at a rest stop (for about 30 minutes to an hour). Classy.

I also drove to San Fran from Phoenix straight. I think it was something like 14 hours.

I used to drive to San Diego quite often when I was dating a girl from there.

Meh. I would rather fly if I have to go super far. I actually don't mind the drive between Phoenix and Tucson every weekend. It is my "quiet thinking time" for myself. And, I get to listen to whatever I want on the radio and sing if I want. It rules. :thumbup:

Only if you don't have ID :smuggrin:

I drove to St. Louis from Phoenix in a straight shot. I slept at a rest stop (for about 30 minutes to an hour). Classy.

I also drove to San Fran from Phoenix straight. I think it was something like 14 hours.

I used to drive to San Diego quite often when I was dating a girl from there.

Meh. I would rather fly if I have to go super far. I actually don't mind the drive between Phoenix and Tucson every weekend. It is my "quiet thinking time" for myself. And, I get to listen to whatever I want on the radio and sing if I want. It rules. :thumbup:

How the hell do y'all do that? I will b!tch and complain if it's over 2-3 hrs. I just can't see how y'all could drive over 5 hrs so easily and not complain.:confused:

How the hell do y'all do that? I will b!tch and complain if it's over 2-3 hrs. I just can't see how y'all could drive over 5 hrs so easily and not complain.:confused:
It's theraputic. I drove the south way to Pheonix through the mountains and I loved it.:love:

As others have said, it is really a matter of personal preference. I drove about 400 miles for my interview but we were used to driving a hair over 300 miles pretty regularly to visit my family. Now, we drive everywhere, but where we live it is 2+ hours to the nearest major airport - for a 6 hour drive it is hardly worth the hassle to drive to the airport first, KWIM?

As for driving being unpredictable, so are airports and flights the last time I checked. No matter how you decide to travel, make sure you allow plenty of time to arrive (like the day or night before if possible).