What is your call schedule like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldsummer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to gauge what the best option is for a PCP call schedule.

1) Being in a big group and being on call for 1 week every 7-12 weeks or so and not worrying about call outside of that week. But you'd have to deal with everyone else's mistakes, neglect, problem patients, etc.

2) Taking call for your own patients and priming them for what an appropriate call is, making sure to refill meds to reduce calls, etc. But you're basically always on call then. But I hear you might be able to work out something with a colleague that could cover for 1 weekend or week if on vacation?

What do you do and what would you say is the best option for a call schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't want to be on call for a whole week at a time. Call is annoying.

I'm in a call group with a dozen other people from three different offices in our group. Our weekday call is M-Th (individual days, 5pm-8am), and a weekend is F-Su (three straight days, starting at 5pm Friday and ending at 8am Monday). We have a separate schedule for holidays. The result of this is that any one of us is only on call one weekday every three weeks or so, one weekend every three months or so, and a specific holiday (like Christmas) once every 12 years or so. I think it works great. For the most part, we've done a pretty decent job educating our patients over the years about what is and is not appropriate for an after-hours call, so the call volumes usually aren't too bad.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't want to be on call for a whole week at a time. Call is annoying.

I'm in a call group with a dozen other people from three different offices in our group. Our weekday call is M-Th (individual days), and a weekend is F-Su (three straight days). We have a separate schedule for holidays. The result of this is that any one of us is only on call one weekday every three weeks or so, one weekend every three months or so, and a specific holiday (like Christmas) once every 12 years or so. I think it works great. For the most part, we've done a pretty decent job educating our patients over the years about what is and is not appropriate for an after-hours call, so the call volumes usually aren't too bad.
Similar. With mine its either 2 weekdays or 1 weekend per month, same set up as to what how those are defined. I'm pretty excited though as once we integrate with the hospital group that just bought us it should go to 1 weekday every other month and 1 weekend per year.

I've done the week on at a time and it wasn't awful but I wouldn't choose to do it again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 24 hours for my patients mon-thurs and till 5 pm on Fridays. 4 of us in our call pool and we divvy up holidays and weekends. It's really cake. I might get an afterhours call during the week from a patient or the lab for a critical 3-5 times a month, tops. Weekends are a mixed bag depending on the moon phase.

Thanks...
Yeah at the places I'm considering it looks like I have the option for 1 week on at a time vs just take my own call. I think I'd prefer taking my own call always, only problem is when Im on vacation ill have to arrange my own call "backup" with another physician...so worried that's its not a "sure" thing.

the particulars of the schedule only matter depending on the call volume.
For example I'm on call for 7 days at a time, but the call volume is minimal, like maybe 1-2 calls a day maximum. So its not a big deal at all.
You'd need to ask one of the current providers what the real call volume is, then decide.

I don’t take phone call. I do take hospitalist call from home. Paid hourly, weekends only. 48 hours per call. I do it 1-2x per month, it’s light work, and pays well.

Last edited:
Do you guys think its better to take call for your own patients (less calls overall but on call most of the year, but can "train" your patients and handle refills, etc to limit calls) or take rotating call for a group (a lot more calls, 1 solid week of call, handle other Dr's messes, but be done completely when off call)

I think it's really dependent on your personal preference. When I took care of prenatal patients, I would give them a way to contact me directly with a google voice number because I wanted them to always be able to get ahold of me. But now I am in a call pool and I really enjoy not having to have my phone on me at all times and only being on call 1 day in about 8.