What is your motivation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlpbarrett

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's obviously hard work to become and to be a vet, so why are you doing it?

Members don't see this ad.

I watched a lot of Animal Plant my senior year of undergrad and figured it looked like a cool enough job. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's so rewarding and I would love to be in a job where I look forward to going to work everyday. You're constantly learning-from patients, clients, and peers. I could go on and on...

Last edited:
Same here too. You can have impact in the world that can change it forever. The change can be small or big from many angks of the veterinary profession. You also have the ability to combine other passions into a career. Decent living, respect and most important I think is your heart to fight in what you believe.

Haha, my love for animals and nature was always with me naturally since ever I can remember as a child. I am all about conservation and interested in medicine both human and animal. Its so connected. It would be ashame for me to waste any talent/high passion for the state of the wild, so why not vet med then human med?

I would be a scientist (just towards a ecology/zoology) or both a scientist (Phd in a science geared to hem oncology) with MD in pediatrics if I didn't do this vet journey.

I want to go far and make a difference in this life.

I'm one of those "wanted to be a vet since I was a kid" people. Over the years I've wondered if I wasn't maybe being too narrow minded and not giving other careers enough consideration. I've thought about it a lot and basically I just can't imagine myself being satisfied and happy in any other career. It is a lot of work but I like being to come out on the other side and say "hells yes, I did that!"

Over the years I've wondered if I wasn't maybe being too narrow minded and not giving other careers enough consideration.

I wondered the same thing and so I did give myself a chance to experience other fields (teaching, counseling, retail etc) but every single time I found myself drawn back to the animal field even if it meant lower pay. Working with animals is the only job that has ever made me happy to go to work every day.

Also, it is the best place for me to make an impact on the world because it is something I am genuinely passionate about. I want to make a difference and I can't wait to work for spay/neuter programs and relief groups.

I was not one of those kids who always knew they wanted to be a vet. In fact, I didn't decide until relatively recently. I was initially a business student until I actually took a business class. Then I realized that I love science, so why not pursue a science degree? I think in the back of my mind I always knew I would end up in science, but since everyone in my entire family (except one cousin) is a businessman/woman I guess I felt obliged to give it a try. Anyway, I really like the versatility of a DVM. Between food animal, companion animal, wildlife/zoological, exotic animal, aquatic animal, lab animal, shelter medicine, private practice, research, industry, government, military, public health, etc. I'm fairly certain I'll be able to find something that suits me. :)

Oh, I guess I like animals too.

I love animals ,I have always been intrigued by their behavior,and I find it very satisfying to work with them:rolleyes:

I'm also one of those "always wanted to be a vet" kids too. I've always been drawn to animals, all kinds. My grandma always likes to tell me about how when I was 3 I ran up to a herd of goats at a petting zoo when other kids my age, and my older brother, were hiding behind their parent's legs. But, it's not all animals, I'm fascinated by science and health and also want to make an impact in people's lives. I got burned out on vet medicine once by corporate vet work, but then when a little kid ran into treatment to thank me for taking care of his guinea pig (just had a little warty growth on it's toe we cut off) I left work knowing I had to be a vet... no kidding, that kid and his guinea pig :laugh:

I truly believe that being a veterinarian is my calling and purpose in life. Since I was a child, I had a natural affinity for animals and their well being. So great is my passion for animals, that I fell off a car and sprang my shoulder pretending like I was a chicken in kindergarten. :laugh: My mom drove a bus and said that one day she drove up and saw a child in the distance flapping his arms as though he was a bird. Much to her dismay, she realized it was me as I ran closer! I'm a complete animal nerd!:p

In addition, this combines my two passions: animals and science.:love: What more can one ask for?

Oh man, where is that hilarious essay thread when you need it!

You know, the one where everybody took turns writing a sample VMCAS vet school applicant essay.

Why veterinary medicine?

I can't tell you why, because it comes from the heart. What comes from the heart, no words can describe.

I tried to resist the draw to veterinary medicine for nearly a decade. Why? It requires a large time and financial investment in education, with a relatively low return (compared to other medical fields.) I couldn't reasonaby afford school, even with loans, after undergrad. I wanted to be absolutly certain of the career path I was traveling down, which I didn't feel I could be if I didn't explore other options. I didn't want to go into a field just because it is what I grew up with (living on a farm, mother working as a vet tech, 4-H, etc.) Also, my confidence in my own ability to gain admissions was low. My GPA is only 3.4. I worked full time through college, so studying had to be balanced with classes.

3 years ago, I had a friend, who is a MD psychologist, shake me up. In her words, it was so obvious to her that I should be in vet med. I couldn't resist trying to figure out problem cases at the zoo I worked at. I loved speaking with doctors at other zoos and in wildlife parks. I am fascinated by the patterns of disease spread, and how to minimize it in a world where the suburbs are expanding while rural and wild areas are contracting...and the pressure on space is tremendous. The more pressure on space, the more pets in home, the greater the risk of rapid disease vectors penetrating, and harming, a region. While human medicine may be able to comprehend some of the vectors, if we aren't examining and determining those vectors at the sources, then we are going to miss something crucial. We will have an epidemic of hoof and mouth, antrhax, ebola or worse. I believe veterinary medicine is the key to finding and eliminating disease before a crisis occurs.

So, after a decade of resistance, I am back on the path I belong on.

My sole motivation is feline medicine, welfare, and rescue. Being a vet would allow me to have a greater impact by giving me skills/qualifications/resources and also the contact with the public.