What is your program's inclement weather policy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eastcoastdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say they are forecasting heavy snow/ice for your area, what is your program's policy? I live about 4 miles from the hospital I'm currently rotating at, but it involves highway and local roads that may not be paved at 6:30 in the morning when I typically have to leave to make it in time for morning rounds. I'm really not comfortable driving in snow. And I live in an area that very rarely sees snow accumulation. I've asked some of the senior residents but since we don't really get snow no one has had to deal with this and they didn't know.

Members don't see this ad.

You could just hit up the PD if you are concerned but I would guess they will cite GME requirements/hours etc saying that there really is no excuse to not be there. But ya, sounds like a dangerous proposition given the conditions. Good luck, be safe.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I will definitely ask my program administers about it! I mainly posted just to see if other programs have a policy on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your dedication to your patients isn't put on hold for snow, you are a physician now, be safe, leave early, and get to work.

We're expected to be there, even if it means spending the night at the hospital the night before due to travel bans (blizzard).

The trick to driving in this kind of weather, depending on where you are and how much snow/ice there is, is to leave yourself tons of time, drive slow, and try to drive in the lane most cars are driving in. Most cities will have crews on the street overnight to sand the roads for the morning commute, so 6:30 shouldn't be as bad as, say, 4 a.m. If you're in the northeast or northern midwest, where everyone is used to snow, you'll be fine. They know how to take care of the roads and other drivers know to be watchful for not only themselves but for people on the roads who aren't used to this kind of weather. If you're in a place like Atlanta, which shuts down from a few snow showers, it might be a bigger challenge.

Last edited:
Ask your program director, but there's probably some official GME policy that says what's been mentioned above -- you're expected to make it in to provide patient care. Now if you're in an outpatient setting, it's likely the clinic will be closed (that's what happens here usually), and your patients probably aren't going to want to come in anyway. However, the hospital doesn't close. Read up on driving in the snow, set off super early and be careful. If you're really worried, spend the night in the hospital.

I remember one program I interviewed at very rarely had substantial snow and I just happened to be there a couple weeks later. Their system was basically everyone stay home, unless your legitimately neccesary for patient safety in which case the hospital arranged transportation for you. Majority of psych residents therefore stayed home except for the call resident and an attending or two just speed rounded on all the units.

Obviously your not going to discharge anyone into dangerous conditions. Seems silly for psychiatrists to risk their and others lives on the roads in order to round on folks currently residing in a safe hospital. (People forget that for non-snowy areas a large winter storm is a life threatening situation due to lacking infrastructure)

I remember one program I interviewed at very rarely had substantial snow and I just happened to be there a couple weeks later. Their system was basically everyone stay home, unless your legitimately neccesary for patient safety in which case the hospital arranged transportation for you. Majority of psych residents therefore stayed home except for the call resident and an attending or two just speed rounded on all the units.

Obviously your not going to discharge anyone into dangerous conditions. Seems silly for psychiatrists to risk their and others lives on the roads in order to round on folks currently residing in a safe hospital. (People forget that for non-snowy areas a large winter storm is a life threatening situation due to lacking infrastructure)

You should have gone to that program, man. That's a sign of an incredibly supportive hospital, GME and/or department. Good for them.

At my program, when extreme weather conditions were forecasted, whoever was going to be on call would be expected to be at work - either by staying the preceding night in the hospital or staying with someone who lived within walking distance of the hospital.

With everyone else, it was basically, "Try your best to get in." Since I was in NYC where almost none of us owned cars, it basically meant that we would go in if the trains/buses were running. Some people would get a cab and submit for reimbursement if public transit wasn't available, but that wasn't required.