What is your typical daily workload?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingsquirrel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently work as a PT aide, and most of our therapist will work 30mins/patient with 30min for regular eval or 1 hr evals for spine. We have an average of 15 patients per day with your typical 9-5 day. There is also a 30 min block for paperwork in the middle of the day to catch up. The therapist would also stay an hour or so after work to finish paperwork. Our aides "float" between patients and typically work with patients right after treatment.

From what I know, 2pts/hour is pretty standard, and yet to me this still seems like a very high workload. I mean, the therapist barely have time to use the restroom and could sometimes miss half their lunch because some patients simply need more time. In the end of the day, paperwork gets stacked and you come home with work (unpaid of course).

I know it can be worst, how do other clinics work with 4/pts hour? I can't even imagine. What kind of treatment quality do you get?

I just recently been accepted to PT school, and I'm love PT and the one on one interaction and clinical reasoning. However, it seems like most PT places are factories, and if I wanted to do that, I could easily make more money with less debt in a non-pt career.

How is your clinic workload?

Members don't see this ad.

I've shadowed PTs at a large research hospital, a SNF, and an outpatient private practice. At the hospital, PTs had one hour per patient. Typically they would work directly with the patient for about 45-50 mins and write the notes in the remaining time. At the SNF and the private practice, PTs had 45 mins per patient, They'd stay a bit after work (30 mins or so) to catch up on the paperwork. So at least some places are not "factories" - yet.

PT here. Most outpatient/orthopaedic clinics are leaning towards the "Factory method". Unfortunately it's not ideal, but it's typically what the owners want, whether the owner is a PT or a-non PT. On average I would see 3 pts a hour sometimes 4, and sometimes 2. You basically have to be efficient as possible, i meant VERY efficient. When you start out, go to a slower paced clinic (yes there are still some around), learn all your skills there, then upgrade to a "factory", if thats what you like/want (typically more $).

As the poster above said, SNF's, hospitals, and other inpatient's will have a much, much less patient load because they require a lot of one - on - one.

So as far as the OP's concern, you're right you have to weigh your pros and cons. If you really don't like the high patient load, and yes it's going to get higher when you graduate, then maybe you want to choose another career? IME, when I started this gig, I felt the same way and did not like the quality of my work nor the patient's quality of care because it's so fast paced. But a few things to remember, any job out there wether in the health career or not will have the same situation. I've been around, I know. Every career's con is not desirable however, I'd take PTs cons over any other health profession's or other job's cons any day. Trust me on this. Unless the other career you're thinking about is really a good one, then you have to choose what u want the most. Best thing about a free country! What is the "other" choice you were thinking about?

With a few PTs who I know feel the same way, they took on inpatient jobs with a lower patient load instead and is loving it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Some larger clinics need to keep the caseload higher just due to the high volume of patient's coming through their doors. One facility that I was at had a one month waiting period for an evaluation and were considered lucky to be seen more than once per week.

For most places,though, it is about the productivity/profit margin. But the overall quality rests on the judgement/skill of the therapist. Most 30min treatment sessions are sufficient, but if more time is obviously needed for a more complex patient they will have more time scheduled for them.

Some larger clinics need to keep the caseload higher just due to the high volume of patient's coming through their doors. One facility that I was at had a one month waiting period for an evaluation and were considered lucky to be seen more than once per week.

Sounds like that area needs another clinic or a bigger clinic..

Better than when I had to go to the Rhuematologist...3 month waiting period for an appointment if you're lucky...and it's like that everywhere.