What kind of dentist is the "best" at doing implants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elleNY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kind of random, but I have had trouble finding the answer to this question. What kind of dentist does an implant the best? Specifically in the front of the mouth where the aesthetic of the gum line is important. A general dentist friend says a periodontist, an ortho said an oral surgeon. A relative I know got one done by a general dentist. Any insight?

E

Members don't see this ad.

It is the individual, not the brand of specialty that makes one superior. Find someone who places tons of them. They're your best bet.

All the general dentists whom I shadowed said perios :)

Members don't see this ad :)
All the general dentists whom I shadowed said perios :)
Periodontists are the masters of managing soft tissue is the main reason.

Periodontists are the masters of managing soft tissue is the main reason.

Only in their own minds. :rolleyes:

Periodontists seem to get off on being "soft tissue masters", and "dealing with the most delicate tissue in the body", despite the fact that that distinction likely belongs to neurosurgeons or opthalmologist.

I also balk at the sheer insult that periodontal residency training instills a lower tolerance for implant failure, esthetic or otherwise, than any other specialty of dentistry that places implants.

Last edited:
This is kind of random, but I have had trouble finding the answer to this question. What kind of dentist does an implant the best? Specifically in the front of the mouth where the aesthetic of the gum line is important. A general dentist friend says a periodontist, an ortho said an oral surgeon. A relative I know got one done by a general dentist. Any insight?

E

If I were going to get an anterior implant placed, I would find someone with the appropriate surgical skill base and a good history of success in this type of treatment. You'll find oral surgeons, general dentists, periodontists and prosthodontists who fit this criteria.

Basically, it's not going to be that easy, you're going to have to do your homework. I've seen crappy, unrestorable implants placed by periodontists and great, aesthetic implants placed by general dentists. The biggest modern name in implant placement right now is a prosthodontist (Misch).

E

i would personally look for a periodontist. even better a periodontist who's done extra prosth training.

i would personally look for a periodontist. even better a periodontist who's done extra prosth training.

Personally, I'd go find a prosthodontist and see what they recommend, since hopefully you'll be attaching a crown to that implant at some point.

Isn't the message driven into our heads over and over again that the point that implants are supposed to be driven by the restorative aspect?

Personally, I'd go find a prosthodontist and see what they recommend, since hopefully you'll be attaching a crown to that implant at some point.

Isn't the message driven into our heads over and over again that the point that implants are supposed to be driven by the restorative aspect?

True. Find a kick-ass prosthodontist, and the rest will follow. A good prosthodontist will know the best implantologists, or do it themselves.

Only in their own minds. :rolleyes:

Periodontists seem to get off on being "soft tissue masters", and "dealing with the most delicate tissue in the body", despite the fact that that distinction likely belongs to neurosurgeons or opthalmologist.

I also balk at the sheer insult that periodontal residency training instills a lower tolerance for implant failure, esthetic or otherwise, than any other specialty of dentistry that places implants.

But don't they still have greater experience in regards to interdental papillae management and treatment?

And the Doctor is trained in both post grad "Oral Surgery" and "Endodontics"!!!!!

http://www.mexicandentalvacation.com/our-dental-prices-in-Mazatlan.html

Cheapest is best. Mexican Dental Vacation. "Mexican Dental Vacation is the only dental office in Mazatlan run by an American for Americans and Canadians."

Single implant $1600, crown included.

Best part is the quote at the bottom of the page, especially this part.

The clinic that I went to was not clean and well-equipped, but for the money I saved, I will do it again.

....not clean or well-equipped! :scared: Ah, priceless! (well apparently it is because he saved $2500! :laugh:)