What kind of MCAT do I need to have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bc10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 27 year old female. I was a biochem major undergrad (3.45) and then got my masters of public health (3.95). During my MPH I took a few graduate level science courses as electives that I got As in to help with my mediocre undergrad gpa.

I currently work full time as a clinical research coordinator. This includes a lot of time in the clinic interacting directly with patients for research studies and working a lot with the doctors. I could get great letters of rec.

And I don't have any interest in DO schools. My main drive to go to med school is to do clinical research and they're not very research heavy. I also enjoy seeing patients and that's why I chose not to pursue a PhD. I just feel like I'm starting to get a little old, and I don't want to invest the time and money into studying for the MCAT if the only way I can get in is by scoring in the 99th percentile. So do I bother or just focus on what I'm doing now?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm 26 year old female. I was a biochem major undergrad (3.4) and then got my masters of public health (3.9). During my MPH I took a few graduate level science courses as electives that I got As in to help with my mediocre undergrad gpa.

I have 2 publications (one as a first author) from my time in the medical physics lab as an undergrad. I was also a D1 varsity athlete in undergrad, did a decent amount of volunteering with the boys and girls club and a few other similar organizations. I was also the fundraising chair for MEDLIFE at my university and went on a mission trip through that. I was also a LEND (Leadership Education for Neurodevelopmental Disabilities) trainee during my time in grad school. I currently volunteer with the special Olympics. I'm also pretty active in the art and have had pieces displayed in art shows and have a small side cake decorating business.

As a grad student I worked ~20 hours a week as a pharmacy tech. As part of my "field work" hours in grad school, I was part of building a new database for metabolic patients at the university hospital and clinics. I currently work full time as a clinical research coordinator. This includes a lot of time in the clinic interacting directly with patients for research studies and working a lot with the doctors. I have a good relationship with our department chair and could probably get a great letter of recommendation from him. I also had a great relationship with the pharmacist I worked with (I babysat her kid occasionally) so I could get another great letter from her.

And I don't have any interest in DO schools. My main drive to go to med school is to do clinical research and they're not very research heavy. I also enjoy seeing patients and that's why I chose not to pursue a PhD. I just feel like I'm starting to get a little old, and I don't want to invest the time and money into studying for the MCAT if the only way I can get in is by scoring in the 99th percentile. So do I bother or just focus on what I'm doing now?
Beggars can't be choosy. With that GPA, which is circling the drain for MD schools, you need to have DO schools on your list. The median GPA for MD acceptees is 3.75 or so. Your MPH will not help with MD schools either.

The median MCAT for MD acceptees is 511.

Reactions: 1 user
Beggars can't be choosy. With that GPA, which is circling the drain for MD schools, you need to have DO schools on your list. The median GPA for MD acceptees is 3.75 or so. Your MPH will not help with MD schools either.

The median MCAT for MD acceptees is 511.

If DO is my only option, I just wouldn't go. Not trying to offend DO programs, but like I said, my goal is clinical research. And a DO isn't great for that and not worth the investement.

Members don't see this ad :)
If DO is my only option, I just wouldn't go. Not trying to offend DO programs, but like I said, my goal is clinical research. And a DO isn't great for that and not worth the investement.
Why do you think that going DO ultimately blocks you from doing any clinical research? There are plenty of osteopathic schools out there that are very research oriented, and clinical research doesn't have to stop at the school level either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

As I said, beggars can't be choosy.

I don't think you're understanding. A DO will not help me get to the career
As I said, beggars can't be choosy.

It's not necessarily being choosy, it's using my resources wisely and keeping my career goals in mind.

Why do you think that going DO ultimately block you from doing any clinical research? There are plenty of osteopathic schools out there that are very research oriented, and clinical research doesn't have to stop at the school level either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using

As someone who currently works in research at an institution that collaborates with a lot of other institutions and sponsors, I have yet to come across a DO.

As someone who currently works in research at an institution that collaborates with a lot of other institutions and sponsors, I have yet to come across a DO.
May I suggest you visit the JAOA (The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association) then for some research publications by some osteopathic physicians?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I get you OP. I wouldn't apply to DO either. To answer the question, I think you would need a 512+ to have a realistic shot of getting into an MD. Apply to 25 schools.

I don't think you're understanding. A DO will not help me get to the career

It's not necessarily being choosy, it's using my resources wisely and keeping my career goals in mind.
I'm sorry, but there's a very real possibility you don't get a 512+ on the MCAT, don't end up with the best shot at an MD school, and only have a viable app for DO schools. It's something you have to be realistic about.

Keep in mind that there are DOs out there doing clinical research, even if they face more obstacles than MDs.

Last edited: