what kind of surgical subspecialties do pa's work in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broadway

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of surgical sub-specialties do PA's work in?

Members don't see this ad.

What he said.

However, some specialities are over or underepresented.

Heavily represented in Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Plastics and Cardiothoracic.

Moderate in things like General surgery, Urology and ENT.

Less well represented in Ob/Gyn.

-Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have heard, CT is the biggest.

Ortho is the biggest. 10% of all PAs work in Ortho. Same as EM.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Must be a regional thing. Around where I live, a lot work in ortho as well. However, out in Southern California where my aunt works, she said her hospitals only employ PAs to work in CT.

Must be a regional thing. Around where I live, a lot work in ortho as well. However, out in Southern California where my aunt works, she said her hospitals only employ PAs to work in CT.

I don't know the northern vs Southern CA thing but the ortho representation for CA is about the same as for the rest of the nation (9.7 vs 7.2%) CVS is actually a little lower at 2.2% vs 3.2%. You have to remember this only represents about 400 PAs in California. They are fairly ubiquitous if you work in Orthopedics but you probably don't see ortho on cardiology floors.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I don't know the northern vs Southern CA thing but the ortho representation for CA is about the same as for the rest of the nation (9.7 vs 7.2%) CVS is actually a little lower at 2.2% vs 3.2%. You have to remember this only represents about 400 PAs in California. They are fairly ubiquitous if you work in Orthopedics but you probably don't see ortho on cardiology floors.

David Carpenter, PA-C

When I worked em in california the ortho dept at my facility had 4 full time ortho pa's who took 1st call to the er for fx reduction and pre-ops, 1st assisted in the o.r., etc
in 1996 they were making $38/hr while I was making $29.

When I worked em in california the ortho dept at my facility had 4 full time ortho pa's who took 1st call to the er for fx reduction and pre-ops, 1st assisted in the o.r., etc
in 1996 they were making $38/hr while I was making $29.

If only it was like that in my area, I'd have my perfect career :)

Hmm. What is the scope of practice like for an OB PA? Are you allowed to assist in complicated births? Oversee non-complicated ones? I just wondered.

Hmm. What is the scope of practice like for an OB PA? Are you allowed to assist in complicated births? Oversee non-complicated ones? I just wondered.
There aren't a whole lot of OB PAs. They mostly work in a manner similar to CNMs (mostly low risk OB). Some also do high risk OB management or GYN onc which makes it hard to separate.

David Carpenter, PA-C

there is an ob residency for pa's in ca
one of my students attended. very similar to the pgy-1 yr for ob md's.
did > 100 solo deliveries. 1st assisted > 100m c-sections, hysts, etc.
lots of colpos, endometrial biopsies, etc
managed complicated high risk inpts.
they do full scope ob minus acting as primary surgeon.

http://www.appap.org/ca.html#one

he still works there as faculty on the ob teaching service and trains pa's and md residents.

there is an ob residency for pa's in ca
one of my students attended. very similar to the pgy-1 yr for ob md's.
did > 100 solo deliveries. 1st assisted > 100m c-sections, hysts, etc.
lots of colpos, endometrial biopsies, etc
managed complicated high risk inpts.
they do full scope ob minus acting as primary surgeon.

http://www.appap.org/ca.html#one

he still works there as faculty on the ob teaching service and trains pa's and md residents.

what is their malpractice like? i know OB MD's have horribly high malpractice. all OB/GYN doctors I know of dropped out of OB and strictly do GYN because OB is not worth it with high malpractice and such.

Thats a really good question. And its a really interesting residency as well! Looks very cool.

anyone know Arrowhead's website to look up more info? i Google searched and the website it came up with gives me an error.

malpractice insurance for the vast majority of pa's is a benefit and not paid by the pa but by the group. only rural/solo pa's/clinic owners and travelers generally buy their own policy.