What Lab Values Do We Need To Memorize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbd13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Wondering if I need to commit to memory some particular lab values? Will they have a "lab" tab like UWorld does?

Thanks,

Nick

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Wondering if I need to commit to memory some particular lab values? Will they have a "lab" tab like UWorld does?

Thanks,

Nick

I didnt memorize any lab values and don't think its worth memorizing any of them. And yea, the lab table in UWorld is exactly the same on the actual exam.

As kind of a related question, did anyone feel that memorizing lab values allowed you to answer questions faster?

I'm pretty sure most of us have Na, K, Cl, and HCO3 memorized by now but what about others like PT and PTT, AST, ALT, GGT, BUN, Cr, etc ... ?

I'm doing USMLERx right now and scrolling through and looking for something like alkaline phosphatase takes forever. Thanks for any advice!

IMO knowing some of the lab values is helpful (saves you a little time), but I wouldn't spend time memorizing it. I think if you do enough questions you'll just start recognizing some of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a lab tab so you don't need to memorize any of the lab values that are available to you in Uworld.

correct me if I am wrong but you do need to memorize normal pH, pCo2, an p02. I don't think those values are in the provided lab values.

As long as you know normal pH is between 7.35-7.45.
You can remember pC02 is between 35-45 (the last two digits).
And you can remember p02 is between 85-95 if you can remember 45 x 2= 90.
hope this helps

what about a calculator? Uworld gives you one but the NBMEs do not...

You have a lab tab so you don't need to memorize any of the lab values that are available to you in Uworld.

correct me if I am wrong but you do need to memorize normal pH, pCo2, an p02. I don't think those values are in the provided lab values.

As long as you know normal pH is between 7.35-7.45.
You can remember pC02 is between 35-45 (the last two digits).
And you can remember p02 is between 85-95 if you can remember 45 x 2= 90.
hope this helps

even the pH, pO2 and pCO2 values are given in that lab table.

what about a calculator? Uworld gives you one but the NBMEs do not...

A calculator is provided on the actual exam. The practice nbmes are based on the older software version. So maybe thats why they don't have that on there. But the actual exam does have a simple calculator