What makes a good Dental LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drsosa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was previously a pre-med. I graduated and earned a bachelors degree in Nutrition Food and Science. During my undergraduate years I was fortunate enough to gain really awesome letters of recommendation from my science profs, university faculty and from my PI's. The only problem is all those letters speak about why I would make a great physician and how my traits and strengths would make me a good doctor. I may be able to get them to re-write my letters of recommendation.

My question is what exactly are the traits that make a good dentist? What types of traits are the ADCOMS looking for in students? What makes a excellent letter of reference for dentistry programs? I really don't have much information or background. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Not trying to sound rude, but if you're truly interested in dentistry you should know what some good traits are.. whether it's through observation of the profession, shadowing, speaking to dentists, etc. You might want to spend some more time researching and observing before "thinking" you might want to become a dentist.

What made you want to become a dentist? And on such short notice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Leadership, intelligence, integrity, empathy, determination, effort, independence, teamwork, hard working, etc. Same traits you would want in a physician.
Traits more important in a dentist include business acumen since most dentists go into private practice, and artistry, since you'd need very fine hand skills to do preps.

Reactions: 1 user
The best letters come from people who know you beyond academics. If you want a solid letter, sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone. TA for a bio class, go to office hours, or maybe get involved with research. The more a professor or whoever is writing the letter knows you, the more eloquent the letter will be.

I was previously a pre-med. I graduated and earned a bachelors degree in Nutrition Food and Science. During my undergraduate years I was fortunate enough to gain really awesome letters of recommendation from my science profs, university faculty and from my PI's. The only problem is all those letters speak about why I would make a great physician and how my traits and strengths would make me a good doctor. I may be able to get them to re-write my letters of recommendation.

My question is what exactly are the traits that make a good dentist? What types of traits are the ADCOMS looking for in students? What makes a excellent letter of reference for dentistry programs? I really don't have much information or background. Please help.
I would also appreciate some insight on this matter. I have around 200 hours clinical (Dental) experience, but are there any specific qualities that might be better served by requesting letters from someone in the humanities instead of the basic sciences?

Good dental letters will typically highlight you as a person. The only people that can write a good letter are those that know you best.

Ones that can vouch for you being a caring human being with a heart that can magnify the dental field and impact communities that you will serve in.

Sounds good-- with that in mind, would it be beneficial to include a letter or two from a dentist or clinical coordinator detailing my clinical experiences? The reason I ask is that one clinical has already written my letter, but it seems pretty generic and just confirms dates and hours. Include it or only use one from professors with whom I have worked closely/could write a more personal recommendation?