What makes a good interventional program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homefries

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying for interventional now. What makes a program good?

I have the opportunity to stay at my program, which is a smaller hospital with a decent but not great reputation. We get good autonomy, often stay in the lab until 8 to 10pm, and over 950 to 1000 PCI and 180 to 200 peripheral interventions per fellow in one year of training. Those numbers are outstanding, and many of the cases are complex interventions, but should I be seeking something else?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is no unless you want to go into academia. Those numbers are not good.... they are insane. Not sure what program that is but I've only seen a few that could claim something like this, one in NJ and one in Ohio.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer is no unless you want to go into academia. Those numbers are not good.... they are insane. Not sure what program that is but I've only seen a few that could claim something like this, one in NJ and one in Ohio.

Just curious about my cardiology bretheren. What is the average "not insane" program like in terms of hours and procedure numbers. It isn't too uncommon for interventional radiology fellowships to have those hours.

There's not more than a dozen programs in the country where people are even getting
Applying for interventional now. What makes a program good?

I have the opportunity to stay at my program, which is a smaller hospital with a decent but not great reputation. We get good autonomy, often stay in the lab until 8 to 10pm, and over 950 to 1000 PCI and 180 to 200 peripheral interventions per fellow in one year of training. Those numbers are outstanding, and many of the cases are complex interventions, but should I be seeking something else?

I doubt there's more than 12 programs in the country that get more than half those numbers, so if you're truly going to get those numbers and don't mind working than u won't find anything even close to that...

The highest I've verified was ~600-700 PCI in one year. The lowest I have heard off was about ~250. On average most places I know get around the 300-400 PCIs in one year.